The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
calibration (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 11th May 2008, 08:58 PM
kat.k.

Total Posts: 56
Let Me Help You TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

I have a big TS 16949 audit on gage calibrations this week. Any idea on what the auditor will ask?

Thanks
Kat.k.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th May 2008, 09:02 PM
Hershal

Total Posts: 2,486
Re: TS 16949 audit for calibration

Gege calibration audits should be fairly consistent, but I am not an expert on TS-16949, so not the best to answer that part. Someone else will likely help with better answers there.

From what I understand though, accredited external labs are required, so have the e4vidence of their accreditation handy.....

Hope this helps.
Thanks to Hershal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 11th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,365

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kat.k. View Post

I have a big TS 16949 audit on gage calibrations this week. Any idea on what the auditor will ask?

Thanks
Kat.k.

Read clause 7.6 in the TS standard,,,that is what the auditor should look for. And, if you supply to the Big 3, the AIAG MSA Manual is also applicable.

In short, some items will be to review:
records of gage calibration,
are gages current,
skills of the calibrator,
are external labs accredited to 17025 or equiv,
MSA studies (Gage R&R, Bias, etc.)

that is a good starting point.
  Post Number #4  
Old 12th May 2008, 01:58 AM
joshua_sx1

Total Posts: 325
Re: TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

There are so many things that an auditor can ask you during the audit… such as “where is the lunch is going to be?”, “whether you reserved meat or vegetarian dish?”, and sometimes, your auditor may also ask of how you are going to pay them, cash or credit? etc..

..anyway, others may include like your statistical studies to analyze variation, your calibration plan this year (in-house & outside), a comparative analysis of your last year calibration plan against the actual performed calibration, your 3rd party calibration certificates, any corrective & preventive action pertaining to your lapse calibration or un-calibrated measuring devices, your control of nonconforming gages, calibration records, etc…

…these are the only things comes to my mind while I was typing and I’m sure there’s still a lot of thing that may come-out, depending also from the competent level of the auditor…
  Post Number #5  
Old 12th May 2008, 03:13 AM
spacemanR

Total Posts: 16

Kat.k,
is it your first TS audit?
i think ,no big difference with ISO9001 audit except MSA manual .
maybe some questions on MSA manaual will be asked,such as,how to do GR&R,what is your criteria to accept the result ,when to do MSA,etc.
  Post Number #6  
Old 12th May 2008, 08:46 AM
Jerry Eldred

Total Posts: 530

I'm a little rusty in this area as I spent about 10 years in a TS16949 (formerly QS9000) compliant environment. But I will give it a shot.

My recollections of the TS and QS standard were that they were ISO9000 "with an attitude."

One of the points I seem to recall we got a minor nonconformance in was regarding our outside vendors. At inception of the requirement (for us) we previously had not used ISO17025 accredited outside vendors. We had to scramble to convert our outside calibration work to accredited. There were a number of instances where we could not find an accredited vendor for calibration of a given instrument. In those cases, the auditor said we needed to document evidence that we had searched for an accredited vendor. That seemed to be a bit of a sticking point is the area of accredited vendors.

There are, I am sure, many other sticking points. But that was one I remembered well.
  Post Number #7  
Old 12th May 2008, 08:51 AM
bgwiehle

Total Posts: 154

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kat.k. View Post

The TS auditors will be using the process audit approach. That means that they will probably audit the production floor by following the control plans of parts going to your key customers.

Among other activities, they will note the measuring devices referenced on those control plans, recording the information from identification and calibration labels & document rev dates, whether forms are filled out at the required intervals. They may ask a gauge user to demonstrate how it is used.

Then, in the calibration lab portion, they will follow up on the matching calibration records, gauge R&R (and other studies as applicable). They could check your laboratory scope document. They will look at certs from master gauges and outside calibration services, if applicable. Training records for lab personnel are fair game. Document control of gauge & calibration work instructions and record control of gauge records will be included. Etc.

B.G. Wiehle
Document Control & Internal auditor in our QMS, audit guide
Thank You to bgwiehle for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 12th May 2008, 08:56 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,459
Thumbs up Re: TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

BG W

Nice post thanks! A good description, IMHO, of what should happen.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics