The Golden Age of Travel

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Traveling Friends,

From MSN.com:

The Golden Age of Travel

In the past century, leisure travel has shifted from a luxury enjoyed by the wealthy to a necessity of the middle class. Today, travel is fast and cheap, accessible and affordable. But as airlines and hotels have started to cut back on the amenities they once provided, it's no wonder that today's travelers feel more like cargo than customers.

Read and see more..

Stijloor.

Q

qualitymanager

A useful look at the impact of technology on social customs ("dressing up" to fly) and leisure.

Randy

Super Moderator
One of my fondest memories is the trip from Chicago to San Francisco I took with my mother and at that time 2 sisters by train in 1955. I remember the porters taking care of us and our room, the folks in the dining car hustling and bustling about and riding in the observation car across the Continental Divide. It was a 1st class trip.

Travel then is nowhere near of like travel now:nope::(

A

amanbhai

I do remember the pampering of air travel in the 1960s. My recent trip to and from Hawaii was far less pleasant than my trip (same airline!) in 1978.

However, travelling is more safer and quicker now than it was before. :cool:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
However, travelling is more safer and quicker now than it was before. :cool:
Not when you factor in the TSA hassle at check-in.

I also remember my fellow passengers being much happier and friendly in the terminal and on the plane. The road warriors seem much more tired and exhausted today than they did back then. I recall lots of weeks when I would put in 6,000 air miles and return home on the weekend ready and able to do household chores and party with family and friends. I also recall lots of evening interaction during the week on the road with clients and friends. (Of course, most hotels didn't have 200 channels of cable TV back then, either!)

I also remember hauling some samples of intricate machined pieces in my hand baggage that would earn me body cavity search and detention today if I tried to take them through TSA. One, a prototype gimbal for a space satellite, would probably have gotten me put into Guatanemo incommunicado.

Randy

Super Moderator
I also remember hauling some samples of intricate machined pieces in my hand baggage that would earn me body cavity search and detention today if I tried to take them through TSA.

One of my favorite activities:lol:

Friday I got a couple of stitches taken out of my fanny as a result of some minor elective surgery(a real pain in the butt). I finally got tired of some airport metal detectors going into fits as I passed through, so I had a few bits of scrap from previous travels removed. I was at the point that I'd just shuck my laundry to get it over with while trying to explain to the TSA folks how it got there to begin with (called history lessons):mad:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
One of my favorite activities:lol:

Friday I got a couple of stitches taken out of my fanny as a result of some minor elective surgery(a real pain in the butt). I finally got tired of some airport metal detectors going into fits as I passed through, so I had a few bits of scrap from previous travels removed. I was at the point that I'd just shuck my laundry to get it over with while trying to explain to the TSA folks how it got there to begin with (called history lessons):mad:

OK Randy, now that you have shamelessly exposed yourself....:D, how many stitches does it take to set off a metal detector?

Stijloor.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
OK Randy, now that you have shamelessly exposed yourself....:D, how many stitches does it take to set off a metal detector?

Stijloor.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the stitches, but the metal remains of ordnance that found its way into Randy's rump. That can often occur when your transport gets hit by enemy [or friendly] fire.

My wounds were all hand-to-hand blade cuts - no metal left in me.

Top Bottom