Excel I want to use the count I get in another formula

F

FASIINKC

I used the count function to count column A I have 821 in this cell.

I want to use this number as part of my =STDEV(D1:D821) so that it matches what ever the count of the A column is automatically.

Thanks
Mike

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Try "=count(cell range)". Make sure you select every cell that could possibly give you a number. Then just referance the cell with the this number in your calculations.

Last edited:
F

FASIINKC

Lets say my count is in B3 which happens to be 821

I want to use 821 I get in Cell B3 to be the end number for the function below.

I think it should look something like this, but it does not work. STDEV=(D1:D[B3])

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
In most cases like this, I find I have bad 'punctuation' so the formula is not recognized. I assume you have the ',' separating the D1 and the B3?

I am not familiar with the stdev command. It is early and I read your post 2 or 3 times thinking he just wants the count function.

F

FASIINKC

I am using the count =count(A1:A65535) and get a number in the cell for 821. I want to paste new data from time to time and the count will change. My count is in B3 Cell

I need to use the number 821 or what ever the new count is in another function.

STDEV=(D1:D???) I thought it might look like this STDEV=(D1:D[B3])

Mike

rob73

looking for answers
Mike
the STDEV function ignores blank cells, you just need to ensure that any cells that you do not wish to use in the calculation are blank (not 0, unless zero is a valid value), so your stdev range can be the whole data where data is stored i.e. =STDEV(A1:A65535). Alternatively setup a column where you use =if(a1=0,"",a1) to remove any zeros (see attached example)

Attachments

• stdremovezeroes.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am using the count =count(A1:A65535) and get a number in the cell for 821. I want to paste new data from time to time and the count will change. My count is in B3 Cell

I need to use the number 821 or what ever the new count is in another function.

STDEV=(D1:D???) I thought it might look like this STDEV=(D1:D[B3])

Mike

You're not going to get there like that in the STDEV function. You need to specify a range of cells--count data has nothing to do with the calculation of standard deviation. What do you think the count is going to do for you?

ETA: Use of the function should follow the form =STDEV(cell:cell)

Last edited:
P

PaulJSmith

You're not going to get there like that in the STDEV function. You need to specify a range of cells--count data has nothing to do with the calculation of standard deviation. What do you think the count is going to do for you?

ETA: Use of the function should follow the form =STDEV(cell:cell)
That will work if the range of cells is sequential. If they are scattered over the spreadsheet in various locations, you will need to use commas to separate the cell entries =STDEV(cell1,cell2,cell3,etc)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
That will work if the range of cells is sequential. If they are scattered over the spreadsheet in various locations, you will need to use commas to separate the cell entries =STDEV(cell1,cell2,cell3,etc)

Yes, thanks for the clarification. My main concern was that the OP was putting the "=" after the function name, which will cause pain and heartbreak.

F

FASIINKC

can someone help me with my SPC file? I want to paste Raw Data from a data logging file in to the tab RAW Data and Calculate all the SPC Data on the SPC Tab.

on the Calculations tab I want the data from column D to be divided in to subgroups of 5 to find max, min and range within the subgroup.

I want to use the number of samples to tie into the functions on the calculations page somehow. I don't what have to manually change them each time. Because the number of data points will never be the same on the raw data page.

I am also having trouble with the CP calculation. It does not match minitabs.

Feel free to clean up my work it has a lot to desire.

Attachments

• SPC Report.xls
    2.1 MB · Views: 345
Top Bottom