The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > APQP and PPAP
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Is PPAP the same process as a ISIR (Initial Sample inspection report)?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
initial sample inspection report, ppap (production part approval process), isir (initial sample inspection report)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 11th June 2001, 08:29 PM
bunda

Total Posts: n/a
Question Is PPAP the same process as a ISIR (Initial Sample inspection report)?

im interested in knowing whether a PPAP is the same process as a ISIR.

Anyone out there can help/

Ta

Martin

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th June 2001, 08:45 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 25,771
Yin Yang

Yes - they're more or less the same. Well - There's more to PPAP than to an ISIR. It involves process aspects and such.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 12th June 2001, 01:56 AM
Howard Atkins

Total Posts: 2,960
ISIR is generally used by VDA. According to VDA 2 which is the relevant document.
The demands for documentation are usually less and there are different forms.

Last edited by Howard Atkins; 20th March 2006 at 02:29 AM. Reason: link removed
  Post Number #4  
Old 12th June 2001, 06:09 AM
Marc

Yin Yang

I agree that they are different in some ways, however they are as alike as they are different. Early on, as I understand it, ISIR (also called ISR and several other acronymns) was just a layout inspection.

I first ran into ISIR (Initial Sample Inspection Report) requirements during the military manufacturing phase of my life. What comprised an ISIR in the 1970's and 1980's was dependent upon the specific contract and the specific customer. Sometimes it was just a layout. Sometimes, as in the automotive PPAP, it included inspection and test data and/or run-off data and/or sample parts, etc.

-> I've been asked to do a contract at a firm which require
-> PPAP's being finished, I've actually performed the PPAP
-> process so at this stage would not know were to begin,
-> you say they are similar to ISIR that's fine and I have
-> an understanding of the FMEA process (not brilliant but
-> okay!) am I worrying to much about nothing or will all be
-> okay and fit into place. My boss has every confidence in
-> sending me into the big wide world - I'm a contracted
-> Quality Engineer who recently completed a 12 month
-> contract as a Quality Systems Engineer (ISO 9000) NOT
-> doing FMEA's though just 9000 stuff.

Well, PPAP is what your customer has defined for you. The impotant part is you go through the APQP process as dictated for a part or product. PPAP is the submission of the results - runoff data, layout, sample parts, etc. But like the way I learned military ISIR, not every APQP process is the same. I once had a customer who produced about 5 specialty parts for GM every year. Their APQP process (and thus their PPAP) was quite different than that of a customer which supplied over 1M struts a year to Ford.

Each APQP is different and since PPAP is simply submission of data from the APQP process, etc., each PPAP is also different. An example is that a process FMEA and control plan is required to be produced during the APQP process. PPAP is where you submit the FMEA.

See http://Elsmar.com/APQP/
  Post Number #5  
Old 12th June 2001, 08:57 AM
Sam

Total Posts: 1,444
Ford used the term ISIR before QSS9000, some people at Ford still do.
Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Nisson all refer to the term ISIR. All have varying documentation requirements. Toyota, for example, requires customer approved BOM, Drawings and packaging data prior to ISIR submission.
  Post Number #6  
Old 12th June 2001, 09:32 AM
Howard Atkins

Total Posts: 2,960
I have only seen this in reference to German companies, thanks for the info
  Post Number #7  
Old 12th June 2001, 09:51 AM
Marc

Yin Yang

I know Honda has one - as Sam pointed out. I remember Honda had a manual, but you still had to confirm and agree with your supplier SQA exaactly what they wanted. An example is parts retention. If you make hoods for cars you space gets limited as opposed to say a brake cylinder. Bottom line is - contract your customer SQA (or other equivalent contact) to define exactly what they want. Like Honda, I suspect Toyota, et al. also have base manuals.

ISRs (ISIRs) are a very old concept.
  Post Number #8  
Old 15th March 2006, 08:55 PM
wanamir

Total Posts: 19
Recently I had received I.S.I.R requirement from BlauPunkt. When we compared with our PPAP items apparently all I.S.I.R items already included inside our PPAP.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > APQP and PPAP