Internal Auditing Requirements (ISO 9001:2008)

• Thread starter CherryBlossomStorm
  • Start date
C

CherryBlossomStorm

Our auditor is saying we need to have objective evidence of internal audits. For example, when auditing the sales department, he says we should write down the actual sales order # of the sales order processed. For auditing the warehouse, we should write down the order # and part # being processed.

I wrote down the names of the people I audited, the processes and work instructions audited, and the questions I asked them, and the results.

In the case of the sales guy, he didn't even have an order to actually process at the moment. He just walked me through what he would do if there was an order, I checked to see if it what he showed me followed our written procedure.

ISO9001:2008 8.2.2 Internal Auditing, as far as I can tell only requires you to "maintain records" of internal audits, not "objective evidence"'

This level of detail the auditor requires from internal audits seems excessive, especially for a company as small as ours. Is it truly a requirement?

Re: ISO 9001:2008 internal auditing requirements

It helps, but I would think that the sales walking you through what he did would be 'objective evidence' as well as checking it against the written requirements. Sometimes you may not have an 'actual job' to track, so it becomes a ;show me what you do' exercise.

B

BoardGuy

ISO9001:2008 8.2.2 Internal Auditing, as far as I can tell only requires you to "maintain records" of internal audits, not "objective evidence"'

This level of detail the auditor requires from internal audits seems excessive, especially for a company as small as ours. Is it truly a requirement?

Evidence sometime call objective evidence is required as part of the audit. You will find in Section 2 of ISO 9001 that ISO 9000:2005 is listed as a normative (required) document and in Section 3 you will find this statement “For the purposes of this document, the terms and definitions given in ISO 9000 apply”. If you look up “record” in 9000 you will find that a record is a “document stating results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed.

Now related to audits you, first must look for evidence of the activity of the process being performed. In this case past sales order processed with a sales order on it per the procedure. Once you review this information you then record the evidence you reviewed that shows compliance or noncompliance to the requirement.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Our auditor is saying we need to have objective evidence of internal audits. For example, when auditing the sales department, he says we should write down the actual sales order # of the sales order processed. For auditing the warehouse, we should write down the order # and part # being processed.

I wrote down the names of the people I audited, the processes and work instructions audited, and the questions I asked them, and the results.

In the case of the sales guy, he didn't even have an order to actually process at the moment. He just walked me through what he would do if there was an order, I checked to see if it what he showed me followed our written procedure.

To provide the objective evidence, it needs to be documented on the Internal Audit Report. If it isn't how would you show evidence on what was reviewed during the audit. Besides any Corrective Action issued you would need to have copies or the number to support your findings, if any. The copies would be attached to the Corrective Action Request which in turn would be filed as record/objective evidence.

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom