The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. - Page 6

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 - aerospace quality management systems, as9100 revision d (2016), canned procedure(s) and documentation, small companies (small businesses)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #41  
Old 20th September 2018, 10:08 AM
Mary13

Total Posts: 15
Re: AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept.

Hi Andy, I was hired (been here 2 weeks) as Senior Quality Engineer to perform final inspections for as aerospace parts that we manufacture. I am also tasked with being this company up to AS9100 Rev D certification.
I thought they were much farther along on that journey then what I'm finding.
Most of the written documentation has been created and steered to one customer. The previous QE started writing these documents over 2 years ago but nothing has been implemented.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #42  
Old 20th September 2018, 11:28 AM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,463
Re: AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mary13 View Post

Hi Andy, I was hired (been here 2 weeks) as Senior Quality Engineer to perform final inspections for as aerospace parts that we manufacture. I am also tasked with being this company up to AS9100 Rev D certification.
I thought they were much farther along on that journey then what I'm finding.
Most of the written documentation has been created and steered to one customer. The previous QE started writing these documents over 2 years ago but nothing has been implemented.
Don't over think it. Our scope is one sentence:

Manufacturing of metal stamped parts for its customers. We then have a blurb justifying our design exclusion.

As for the documentation, don't "implement" anything. You guys are already in business. So you're doing something. Document, flowchart, etc. what you are currently doing and compare to the standard. If you have to tweak, then tweak. But don't over do it. Good luck.
Thank You to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #43  
Old 21st September 2018, 01:58 AM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,660
Lightbulb Re: AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept.

Mary,

“Nothing has been implemented” tells me that you may have a pile of documents written around the standard.

Your company’s management system exists because your company is already in business and making enough money (from its fulfillment of customer requirements) to invest in improvement. That is the system to document and develop with the people who know how it actually works.

Any missing controls of existing processes (when compared with the standard) may then be put in place by the people doing the work. Any missing processes are assigned to a process owner for design, integration, use and improvement as part of the upgraded management system.

You may choose to manage these changes with your corrective action procedure or as your system development project.

Again, your system already is implemented but may need to be tweaked.

All the best,

John
Thanks to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #44  
Old 21st September 2018, 08:47 AM
Mary13

Total Posts: 15

Where can I search for other 3D printing houses that are AS9100 Rev Certified?
  Post Number #45  
Old 21st September 2018, 12:03 PM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,660
Yin Yang Re: AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept.

Here’s one I found with Google:

3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping, Additive Manufacturing

I’m not sure if any organization is maintaining a reliable list of companies with certified management systems.
Thanks to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #46  
Old 21st September 2018, 12:22 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mary13 View Post

Where can I search for other 3D printing houses that are AS9100 Rev Certified?
The IAQG had a goal of making the OASIS database searchable for the scope of certification. I don't know if they are still working on that improvement or not.

Currently the OASIS database does not allow such search and, by the way, as of last Sunday, ALL AS9100 Rev. C certificates are expired.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >