Associated Documents List within a Procedure - What is necessary?

R

RK-REX

Ok, I know I'm being a bit anal here, but I want to cover all of my bases BEFORE my auditor finds issues.

When I'm writing my main QMS procedures, how far do I have to go with the list of associated/related documents? Does every document that is referenced in the procedure get listed, or just the ones that are specific to that procedure only?

For example, at the beginning of the "procedure" section, I note that all records created as a result of this procedure shall be maintained in accordance with 4.2.4. Do I need to refer to 4.2.4 in the list or can I leave it out since it is more of an overall QMS procedure?

Thanks!!!

Rikk

D

db

Ok, I know I'm being a bit anal here, but I want to cover all of my bases BEFORE my auditor finds issues.

When I'm writing my main QMS procedures, how far do I have to go with the list of associated/related documents? Does every document that is referenced in the procedure get listed, or just the ones that are specific to that procedure only?

For example, at the beginning of the "procedure" section, I note that all records created as a result of this procedure shall be maintained in accordance with 4.2.4. Do I need to refer to 4.2.4 in the list or can I leave it out since it is more of an overall QMS procedure?

Thanks!!!

Rikk

First of all, there is no requirement to have a list of associated/related documents. In many cases, it might be a good idea however. I normally don't use them. Instead, I just place them in the body of the procedure as they apply.

R

RK-REX

First of all, there is no requirement to have a list of associated/related documents. In many cases, it might be a good idea however. I normally don't use them. Instead, I just place them in the body of the procedure as they apply.

Thanks for the input!! I'm learning more and more every time I visit the Cove!

I'm basing this system off the last one I worked with and it listed them and I've looked at several that do and several that don't. I can see benefits of both. I am planning on linking my document references electronically, so they are easy to refer to during the desk portion of the audit. I may be over complicating things, but my slight OCD makes me do things like this. :tg:

I was mainly wondering if there was an accepted practice. I think I will keep the list, but only refer to the procedure specific documents. I think that even if it's not required, it will still be of help when I'm organizing everything.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
I was mainly wondering if there was an accepted practice. I think I will keep the list, but only refer to the procedure specific documents. I think that even if it's not required, it will still be of help when I'm organizing everything.
There is no accepted practice, but if you feel something like what you said is of help for you, go ahead and list associated documents within a procedure. Make sure you do not mention the revision numbers of the associated documents, for this will just make your life that much more worse each time a document is revised. (I say this because I have seen some do this)
Within your documentation structure, let the higher level documents make mention of the lower level documents associated in them and not both ways around.
On a different note, the process interaction mapping just does what you intend to do in the listing of associated Documents List within Procedures.

Top Bottom