Number of Quality Personnel - How many quality personnel does your company employ?

T

Toefuzz - 2006

A discussion in another thread brought to mind what I consider an interesting question: How many quality personnel does your company employ? I realize that could be a pretty open-ended question depending on how your organization defines quality personnel (line inspectors, ever employee, etc) so I guess I'd like to start by restricting answers to the number of people dedicated to ensuring quality while not specifically performing any value added activity. Does that make sense?

Also, how many employees does your organization employ overall? Any idea how this ration compares to 10/20/30 years ago?

J

JRKH

The Quick answer

We have 3 people in the Quality Department.
Our total employment is about 70.

James

Toefuzz said:
I guess I'd like to start by restricting answers to the number of people dedicated to ensuring quality while not specifically performing any value added activity.
Er... The definition of "value added" varies, but I have a feeling none of us would be here if we added no value? I will answer in terms of not being in the "production hands-on" category.

Anyway: We are eight people in the Quality/Environment dep (including three people in the final inspection/lab, and we also do some jobs that are not linked to the traditional QA role. I would say three people directly involved in QA.

There is also the fact that our QA dep. used to be quite big, before we "outsourced" most of our functions to the respective process owners years ago, and retained only the "staff functions". This makes it a bit iffy to come up with a definitive count, but a rough estimate would be five to seven people directly involved in QA (not counting inspectors). With 380 people working here, I would say that we end up with a 1/65 ratio, but as I've said it's a matter of definition.

Counting all inspectors would for instance give us a 1/12 ratio...

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Er... The definition of "value added" varies, but I have a feeling none of us would be here if we added no value? I will answer in terms of not being in the "production hands-on" category.

Anyway: We are eight people in the Quality/Environment dep (including three people in the final inspection/lab, and we also do some jobs that are not linked to the traditional QA role. I would say three people directly involved in QA.

There is also the fact that our QA dep. used to be quite big, before we "outsourced" most of our functions to the respective process owners years ago, and retained only the "staff functions". This makes it a bit iffy to come up with a definitive count, but a rough estimate would be five to seven people directly involved in QA (not counting inspectors). With 380 people working here, I would say that we end up with a 1/65 ratio, but as I've said it's a matter of definition.

Counting all inspectors would for instance give us a 1/12 ratio...

/Claes
I like the concept of "outsourcing" activity and responsibility of many quality functions to the production folks who "own" the processes involved. We did this in a high-tech machining outfit. The remaining quality personnel became
  1. designers of inspection processes in conjunction with cross-functional team (often including end customer as well as production folk) when designing the Control Plan for a particular product
  2. trainers of all personnel on proper use and care of inspection instruments
  3. "court of last resort" on sticky quality questions
  4. supplier of a standing member of the Material Review Board
  5. liaison with outside customers on questions of quality
:topic: My question, Claes, is: "WHO initiated the idea in your organization? What was the trigger to get folks thinking of changing from the deadly routine of "Kwality Kops" to integrating quality procedures with the process owners?"

In our case, it was a realization that Deming was right, "prevention is better than detection." We (top management) decided we wanted to do the right thing the first time, every time. We just simply eliminated the "gotcha" aspect of quality inspection systems and enlisted everyone's help in looking for solutions, not scapegoats.

D

David Hartman

In an electronics plant with 84 employees we have 2 full-time QA personnel (myself and an incoming inspector). All other inspection (visual and electrical) is accomplished by production personnel.

Data is captured by the incoming inspector and the production personnel at various points on the floor, is compiled for analysis by myself, and analyzed by myself, the process engineers, and the production supervisors.

R

Rob Nix

Toefuzz said:
How many quality personnel does your company employ?
Answer: ALL OF THEM.

Toefuzz said:
people dedicated to ensuring quality while not specifically performing any value added activity
Hey, I resemble that remark. Like Claes says. I have never, ever liked the term "non-value added" as applied to personnel. If they ain't, they should be let go.

This is one of those 'spinning' questions, where each time you go around it, you become dizzier. Each type of business requires a different ratio, and each employee does a certain percentage of traditionally quality duties. Some do those things 100% (e.g., Quality Manager).

So, where are we going with this? :)

R

Red4165

Quality Personnel

In our company we have the following Quality Personnel:-
  1. Quality Manager
  2. Quality Team Leader
  3. Quality Technical Officer
  4. Quality Administrative Assistant
  5. 1 Quality Line Technician per shift (currently we work 24/5 = 3 shifts)
  6. 20hours pw Micro person
  7. All production personal have checklists and checks that they must perform for the duration of their shift
we employ approx 120-130 employees and we manufacture softdrinks
Does this help any?
JJ

C

C Emmons

I think I am overworked
One - just me....

last time I checked around 950 employees scattered across IN, KY, OH, MI.

I am the MR, Internal Auditor, Director or Quality, write the policy, write the procedures, do alot of the training. etc etc etc.

I want an assistant.

done whining!!:mad:

R

Red4165

Hi
Yes you would be overworked with the number of employees and just yourself in Quality. You have obviously passed a lot of responsibility on to the operators? You must be doing a fantastic job!!!
JJ
:eek:

Top Bottom