ISO 22000 in packaging industry - Food safety management system

F

febi arfiyanto

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. I found great usefull information for my knowledge.

Currently I'm being requested to support my collegue to develop ISO 22000 in packaging industry. I have a copy of the standard but I dont have experience in food safety management system. Is there anyone can share information how to develop ISO 22000, especially in packaging industry?

:thanx:

Febi
Quality practitioner/part time consultant
Indonesia

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Food packaging is a more specialized avenue. Are your packaging in contact with food?

There are FDA requirements and guidelines in this instance. There's the BRC/IOP (British Retail Consortium/Institute of Packaging Standards and then EN 15593. Bottomline is, what/which standard do you need to comply?

ISO 22000 is more general and less prescriptive - is meant or intended to be used by organizations throughout the food chain whereas packaging standards are specially for food packaging organizations.

BTW, welcome to the Cove.

T

tsmith7858

Welcome to the cove, I used the reources here to help me install ISO 22000 for a food manufacturer over the last year. Make sure you search the web site for information as there are a lot of good threads and tools available!

A few questions for you:

Are you familiar with ISO at all?
Do you have ISO 9000?
Do you know anything about HACCP?

If you answer yes to any of these then you are already on your way. ISO 22000 works the same as any ISO standard, if you have ISO 9000 in place you already have a lot of the required elements (Document Control, Management Commitment, Resources, Validation).

HACCP is the big part that may be different. Depending on your background you may recogonzie it as a modified FMEA focusing on food safety hazards.

Harry also makes a good point of understanding your needs. Several other standards are more specific to packaging and may benefit. We built our system to meet the needs of BRC and AIB and I am confident we could pass multiple standards if needed. You also need to know your (or your customers) regulations.

Good Luck in your implementation. :agree1:

F

febi arfiyanto

Harry & tsmith7858,

Thank you for your response for my post.

Harry, the packaging company is a vendor for a food company. Hence, the food company ask the vendor to implement ISO 22000. Regarding BRC/IOP (British Retail Consortium/Institute of Packaging Standards and EN 15593, I'm still dont have information from my collegue. I will ask about that.

tsmith, I'm familiar enough with ISO, especially in ISO 9000 however I dont have experience in developing HACCP. Please inform me if you have good example how to develop HACCP.

Thanks,
Febi

T

tsmith7858

Get started on what you know from ISO 9000 and take a class on HACCP. You will need to analyze your entire process for potential hazards that cause harm to consumers. I don't know much about the packaging end but I would think it would be easier than dealing with food manufacturing processes.

I would keep BRC/IOC in mid as you go, a lot of the requirements are similar so it would not hurt to cover them along the way. We passed a BRC audit and were certified before we even finished with ISO 22000.

J

JaneB

I'm familiar enough with ISO, especially in ISO 9000 however I dont have experience in developing HACCP. Please inform me if you have good example how to develop HACCP.

You won't be wasting any time at all (quite the reverse) if you focus at this point on identifying your various products/services, and developing flowcharts for how you produce/develop/deliver them (or whatever).

HACCP isn't something you 'develop' as much as a particular approach, with a very good focus on identifying and managing risks and critical control points (CCPs). To do it, you first need flow charts of the process.

F

febi arfiyanto

All,

Thanks for the input, I will take some time to learn about HACCP.

Regards,
Febi

Top Bottom