ISO9001:2000 Transition from QS9000 - Or Both?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,
We are part of the thousands of sites that has not made the transition to the new standard. Our certificate would expire on Dec. 2003. As of now, we are trying to consider two certifications, QS9000 and ISO9001:2000. One of our customer is requiring us to be QS9000 certified. The problem with QS9K is that it is ISO9001:1994 based, which would expire this December, is it economical to be certified on QS9K? What is the implications of having a certificate with QS9K? :confused: What are the benefits or value we are getting if we certified on both Quality System? :frust:

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Raffy

Randy

Super Moderator
QS9000? From what folks here have said, and from all indications that standard is history. You should look at TS16949. As for benefits...if you want to keep your doors open and continue to operate from the resulting income that can be obtained from your customers you'll do it.

Raffy

Hi Randy,

QS9000?, you heard me right. It was been recommended by one of our customers that we need to be certified on that Qualilty System. Not reiterating the fact that this standard is based from ISO9001:1994 which would expire on Dec. 15, 2003.

After a post the questions, after reading some threads on the forum, I realized that to be certify to QS9000, is not economical. And what we must do in the future is that we should go for the transition immediately, since the time is now ticking.

And your right that we should look for the TS16949 instead of QS9000.

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Raffy

Randy

Super Moderator
Cool!!!!

Start tearing up the TS16949 portion of the Forum here. Glean what you can:)

T

tomvehoski

What I have found at many clients and their customers is that often the peron issuing the requirement to you has no clue about where the actual standards should apply. I once had a construction company told that they have to get QS certified. Once we went back to the buyer and informed him QS was not possible in construction, they said ISO was acceptable.

Before you implement their request, challenge them if it does not make sense. ISO 9001: 2000 may be perfectly acceptable and save you the cost/headache of 16949.

Tom

Raffy

True, some customers don't really understand what needs to be done on their supplier. IMO, since they are certified to a specific quality system, they want that all of their suppliers would also undergo the same quality system they have, not knowing the fact and asking themselves, "Is this applicable to their business?"

Thanks.

Best regards,
Raffy

Top Bottom