Purchase Order Clauses - Complying with AS9100 clauses 7.4.2 e & f

V

ValleyGirl

I've recently gone through a pre-assessment audit. There are two requirements that I need to include in our PO Clauses that have not been met. I was hoping SOMEONE could help by giving me an example of how they met requirements 7.4.2 e & f.

Thanks!

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: 7.4.2 Purchase Order Clauses

I've recently gone through a pre-assessment audit. There are two requirements that I need to include in our PO Clauses that have not been met. I was hoping SOMEONE could help by giving me an example of how they met requirements 7.4.2 e & f.

Thanks!
I don't know what you produce, but I don't think 7.4.2 e & f would be in your PO clauses.

7.4.2 e refers to what if any special inspections or tests that the purchased item will need to meet or that your organization uses for acceptance of the purchased item.

7.4.2 f refers to test specimens such as plating coupons or printed circuit board coupons that are required for approving a design or for acceptance of a purchased lot.

Tell me what you do and I'll try to provide you an example.

Last edited:
V

ValleyGirl

I don't know what you produce, but I don't think 7.4.2 e & f would be in your PO clauses.

7.4.2 e refers to what if any special inspections or tests that the purchased item will need to meet or that your organization uses for acceptance of the purchased item.

7.4.2 f refers to test specimens such as plating coupons or printed circuit board coupons that are required for approving a design or for acceptance of a purchased lot.

Thanks for your reply...We are a job shop - we do machining of aerospace parts precison tooling. Generally ground support equipmet. An example will be excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

ValleyGirl said:
Thanks for your reply...We are a job shop - we do machining of aerospace parts precison tooling. Generally ground support equipmet. An example will be excellent.

I am not answering for Al, but here is my take, and my opinion:

Having any Non-Destructive Testing performed by a Supplier and having your own acceptance standards or NDT process specification; this might be an example 7.4.2 (e).

Having your Supplier provide Test specimen of plating or Heat treat with the end product so that you may independently send out for testing; this might be an example of 7.4.2 (f).

Since it only requires you to determine "where appropriate," you would less likely flow this down in your Purchase order. If you want to flow this down, I would identify it as a Quality Clause (QC-xx or something), so that you can invoke it as necessary. That would be the best place, in my opinion.

V

ValleyGirl

I would identify it as a Quality Clause (QC-xx or something), so that you can invoke it as necessary. That would be the best place, in my opinion.

I don't know if I made my question clear. (Probably not - seems to be a problem with me lately:biglaugh:) We do have Quality Clauses that are sent to our suppliers and referenced on on PO's. The auditor looked over our clauses and said
"7.4.2 Purchainsg Information - The quality clauses do not address elements B, E, F H."
The auditor is incorrect on B & H because the clauses do cover the requirements for qualification of personnel & notifiying us if they are going to make changes. I am not sure how to word "E" & "F". I am interpreting E to mean what the supplier needs to do as far as THEIR INSPECTION PROCESS for us to accept it. and "F" to mean just about the same thing.
I am at a loss as to what to put in our clauses.:bonk:

AndyN

Moved On

I don't know if I made my question clear. (Probably not - seems to be a problem with me lately:biglaugh:) We do have Quality Clauses that are sent to our suppliers and referenced on on PO's. The auditor looked over our clauses and said
"7.4.2 Purchainsg Information - The quality clauses do not address elements B, E, F H."
The auditor is incorrect on B & H because the clauses do cover the requirements for qualification of personnel & notifiying us if they are going to make changes. I am not sure how to word "E" & "F". I am interpreting E to mean what the supplier needs to do as far as THEIR INSPECTION PROCESS for us to accept it. and "F" to mean just about the same thing.
I am at a loss as to what to put in our clauses.:bonk:

This seems to me to be a classic case of an auditor not clearly communicating and confirming understanding! I would contact your chosen CB (not us, unfortunately) and ask them for clarification of what their auditor is expecting, but not clearly reporting!

I sincerely hope this is not a 'gotcha finding', in that the auditor thinks that they know more than you do about this requirement! It looks like it to me!

Please don't take the 5th on these issues. You will pay for it both in cash and metaphorically later on! If you aren't clear about what they're reporting, they haven't done a good job!

Simple, really!

Top Bottom