Lead Internal Auditor Training - Does the lead auditor require additional training?

K

KosmoQA

Our company is seeking ISO9001:2000 certification. Here is what I understand, so far, of the internal audit requirements:
As part of that standard, we are required to conduct internal audits. From what I have seen so far, I understand that we are required to have a lead internal auditor. Is this a correct statement? If so, does the lead auditor require additional training than a "run of the mill" internal auditor? If so, then where would the best place be to aquire this training?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
KosmoQA said:
I understand that we are required to have a lead internal auditor. Is this a correct statement?
No, unless you self impose this requirement. You have to have competent internal auditor(s). You can develop your own people as auditors or you can outsource the internal auditiong function.

AndyN

Moved On
Absolutely...........

no requirement to have a 'lead auditor' and if you've written it into your procedure, then my advice is change the procedure. If you are doing audits as a team, then someone may have to have some leadership skills to get the audit done correctly, however, that might be the management rep's/audit manager's job to 'school' everyone on the team. Who is running the audit program? You might want to consider the Mgmt rep attending a class for them to see how to organize an audit program.
Andy

D

db

In the automotive scheme, there are some companies that require their suppliers to have at least one person who has completed a certified lead auditor class. You need to make sure none of your customers have that type of requirement. Other than that, just make sure they are competent

R

ralphsulser

db said:
In the automotive scheme, there are some companies that require their suppliers to have at least one person who has completed a certified lead auditor class. You need to make sure none of your customers have that type of requirement. Other than that, just make sure they are competent

For ISO/TS16949:2002, Visteon and Ford Customer Specific Requirements state that at least one person must have successfully completed an accredited ISO/TS16949:2002 Lead Auditor course, with the core tools. Such as a QSA/RAB accredited course. None required for ISO 9001:2000 that I have heard about.

R

Rea

I have reviewed the latest Ford Customer Specific requirements for ISO/TS 16949:2002 dated Nov, 2003 but cannot find the requirement for lead auditor training requirements that at least one person must have successfully completed an accredited ISO/TS16949:2002 Lead Auditor course. Which clause are you refering to?

R

ralphsulser

Rea said:
I have reviewed the latest Ford Customer Specific requirements for ISO/TS 16949:2002 dated Nov, 2003 but cannot find the requirement for lead auditor training requirements that at least one person must have successfully completed an accredited ISO/TS16949:2002 Lead Auditor course. Which clause are you refering to?

You are correct, I went back to look and it is not a Ford requirement, only Visteon specifies Lead Auditor Training. Although Ford CSR 4.39, 4.39.1, 4.39.2 specifies the type of training required for Internal Auditors.
Lead Auditor training would be a big help. but not required. Sorry, usually Visteon mirrors Ford requirements. :eek:

Top Bottom