Request for Research Topic to submit for an MBA Proposal

D

Determined-A1

Hello Everyone,

I happened upon this site recently which searching for information on TQM for an assignment, and have been impressed with the discussions and the information shared.

I am in the process of putting together a research topic to submit for an MBA proposal and, since I am employed in an airline catering form, it is my desire to focus research on a TQM topic related to that industry.

Would anyone be able to assist in suggesting a few topics from which I may select? I am having difficulty zeroing on one which dos not have the makings of a consultancy topic.

Regards,

Tracelyn

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Request for Research Topic-MBA

Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

What is a personal interest of yours? People? Saving money? Helping suppliers be successful? Making customers happy? Improving the community? Making machines and processes work like a fine Swiss watch?

When I get to choose a research topic, I start with what interests me personally.

C

Craig H.

Re: Request for Research Topic-MBA

What metrics are currently used (what is deemed important enough to measure)? What are the main complaints from the customers (Solve a problem)?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip>I am in the process of putting together a research topic to submit for an MBA proposal and, since I am employed in an airline catering form, it is my desire to focus research on a TQM topic related to that industry.

How about a study on how airline food and its presentation can be improved?;) Many of us here at The Cove fly a lot, and we have experienced the airline caterers' handy work....

Just an idea.

Stijloor.

D

Determined-A1

Thanks for jumping in to assist, guys.

My interest surrounds efficiency; getting it right first time. There is a tendency for us to have to correct a situation and apologize for the error . That is usually with the support systems though (inventory, invoices, ratios) rarely with the presentation and the quality of the food. On the contrary we receive many compliments.
For some background, the airlines give an idea of what their preferences would be for a particular sector. A presentation of several options of meals fitting their specs is held at one of our kitchens. At this gathering, the reps scrutinize, taste, measure, weigh, etc. and arrive at a final package. Photos are taken, specs are recorded, that meal is priced, and it becomes gospel; no deviation. The kitchen works from the specs and the photos, in terms of preparing and packing on the tray.

So to respond directly, I would want to make the customers happy by ensuring that they do not have to be spending time and money rushing equipment to us because we submitted an incorrect (over) count of the stock we are holding; or someone misreading the ratio charts and boarding incorrect quantities of a particular item, putting the crew in an embarrassing situation. Problems of that nature are of concern to me.

Hope I am helping my cause.

Tracelyn

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Last edited:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Just some ideas....

Maybe you could take one area. Measure the current complaint rate. Implement a fix, then measure the complaint rate.

Also, Service Quality is always of interest. How do you measure Service Quality? Are there differences between the customer's perception of quality, and what your organization thinks is the customer's perception of quality?

Another area may be your method of root cause. Identify your existing method for finding root cause. Then, propose alternatives. Those could be the 5 why's, fishbone, etc. (there are many, many ideas).

D

Determined-A1

Many thanks for getting my ideas flowing. As suggested, I will take your suggestions, do some reading and putting some thoughts together then make a post of what I have to elicit further feedback.

In the interim, should you have any additional brainwaves, please share some ripples with me.

Tracelyn

Top Bottom