What is PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification?

56flh

We are being asked for a PED certification for a product we produce. Since we are ISO9001 certified I think that I have the requirement tracked down to meeting the requirements of 97/23/CE Modules A and E1. What and where do I find these documents. After an hour of surfing the "net" looking for this information I'm getting a bit frustrated.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What is PED certification?

We are being asked for a PED certification for a product we produce. Since we are ISO9001 certified I think that I have the requirement tracked down to meeting the requirements of 97/23/CE Modules A and E1. What and where do I find these documents. After an hour of surfing the "net" looking for this information I'm getting a bit frustrated.

PED is EU Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC
http :// ec. europa. eu/enterprise/sectors/pressure-and-gas/documents/ped/ - DEAD 404LINK UNLINKED
there's a link to the standard there and the standard has the tables for conformity assessment. The modules are in Annex III.

You have to look at the tables in Annex II to find your category and then the conformity assessment table to see what modules are required.

My prior company made parts in Category I, Module A and Catgory IV, Modules B&D. And Article 3, Paragraph 3... which is sound engineering practices for parts that are pressure equipment but not requireing a CE mark.

If you tell me what you make I might be able to offer some guidance. I spent 4+ years with the PED. PM me if you don't want to publish it in public.
I'm in the printing business now so I am not a competitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

56flh

Thanks for your help Scott. I believe the information you sent will answer the questions I have about the part I'm dealing with.

P

pclaire

Hi Scott - I read your post that you know something about PED. I work for a steel mill. One of our customers requires 97/23/EC but the more I read about it the more I don't think we really need full blown certification to the standard. In fact, since we don't manufacture finished parts it may be inappropriate that a registrar is giving us certification????? We are AS9100 certified.
Do you have any comments that might help me with this question?

M

Michael T

Hi pclaire...

I've been dealing with the PED for several years now. As a materials manufacturer, to be able to supply material in accordance with 97/23/EC (The Pressure Equipment Directive) you have to have your quality system certified by a Notified Body. Per the PED, a material manufacturer must have a quality system that complies with Annex I, Section 4.3 of the Pressure Equipment Directive. The modules would not apply unless you manufacture pressure equipment or pressure accessories. Since you work in a steel mill, you are a materials manufacturer.

I hope this answers your questions. If you would like any additional information, I would be happy to share the frustrations of the PED with you or anyone... LOL!!!

Cheers!!

Michael

R

Roberto Vigo

I have a question for Michael. how does PED fall into place when it comes down to fasteners? When does the CE stamping apply?

Top Bottom