Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 - aerospace quality management systems, as9100 revision d (2016), corrective action (ca), corrective action systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 17th May 2018, 10:31 AM
Michael_M

Total Posts: 552
Question Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H

I am looking to put into a corrective action procedure the ability to do an 'informal corrective action' (I cannot think of a better term). The concept behind this is not every problem that arises needs a formal documented corrective action and someone can fix the problem without spending time documenting everything.

I understand the need for corrective actions, but I also understand that not every problem needs a hammer (corrective action system). Sometimes a mistake occurs and get fixed by reasonable actions.

Per the AS9100D, 10.2.1 A-H there is nothing I see that requires documenting every corrective action, however, it is strongly implied. I want to be able to write something into the documented procedure that says not every problem requires a documented corrective action. However, any 'actual' corrective action needs to be documented, investigated, and what actions are taken.

1. Is this possible?
2. How can it be written (any suggestions)?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th May 2018, 10:54 AM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,274
re: Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H

It would be easier to provide feedback if you give examples of what you mean by "informal" corrective actions. I suspect that you are referring to corrections and not corrective actions.
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th May 2018, 12:46 PM
Michael_M

Total Posts: 552
Re: Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H

I guess a better way of asking the question would be: "what defines the need for a corrective action?" and what exactly is a 'non-conformance'?.

We are trying to improve the filling out of the 'job cards'. Most (but not all) of the mistakes are the employee not paying attention, wanting to go home, or some other reason (probably 10+ reasons, each different). I don't want to put this in as a formal corrective action as the time to document does not really assist the solution, and the ability to repeat the mistake really violates the standard.

Example:
Person A does not fully record the job number correctly on card, then a week later person B does the same thing. This really is human mistakes and yes, there are ways to remove the humans from the activity but that really is not desired and the incorrect information is typically caught at the entry point. We want to correct this to reduce entry time.

I suppose I could say this example does not violate
Quote:
"10.1 The organization shall determine and select opportunities for improvement and implement any necessary actions to meet customer requirements and enhance customer satisfaction"
but I would rather have something written that defines requirements of corrective actions or simple fixes.
  Post Number #4  
Old 17th May 2018, 01:17 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,274

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Michael_M View Post

I guess a better way of asking the question would be: "what defines the need for a corrective action?" and what exactly is a 'non-conformance'?
We've had many similar discussions here, over the years.

The key thing to remember is the sentence in the standard that reads:
Quote:
b) evaluate the need for action to eliminate the cause(s) of the nonconformity, in order that it does not recur or occur elsewhere,
As for what determines the need for action, it is a risk-based thinking determination. How critical, repetitive, serious, cost-inducing, etc is the problem?

Trying to procedurelize this determination can be very tricky as the scenarios and potential consequences can vary tremendously. In my experience, you want to leave some things to discretion of authorized/responsible personnel.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 18th May 2018, 07:27 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,231

I agree that both AS9100 and common sense suggest that not every NC requires formal RCCA, and we say that in our procedures and training. For example, if it is truly an isolated incident, or of a minor nature, and/or the cause is known and resolution can be implemented quickly, we don't require formal use of the formal, documented RCCA process. And we have 2 levels of documented, formal RCCA process.

However, I will warn you, this "power" (to not do a formal RCCA) can be (and often is) abused to the detriment of the organization. It can be used as a license to ignore ongoing, systematic, and often expensive problems.

Maybe I am inferring what you did not imply, but it sounds to me like this problem is recurring relatively frequently, and you would like to fix it, but don't.

Could you reasonably justify your decision to not do a formal RCCA to yourself, your boss, and your customers? If so, carry on....
Thanks to Mike S. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >