Is it true, that for every PPAP made is necessary to do the IMDS register?

D

duda_enns

Hi, I have a question:

Is it true, that for every PPAP made is necessary to do the IMDS register, as PPAP 4 th edition?

Thanks for help

M

Mark Paul

According to most of our Automotive work, yes. But then again, Ford 'updated' phased PPAP doen't ask for it on thier own PSW.
Better safe than sorry though because that's the direction the 16949 crowd seems to be heading.

D

D.Scott

We provide the IMDS number on all PPAP submissions. That doesn't say we re-enter the material in the IMDS data base every time we do a new PPAP. The material in the data base does not change and if it is supplied to various customers, the same IMDS number applies.

Dave

B

bgwiehle

schmudy said:
Ford 'updated' phased PPAP doen't ask for it on thier own PSW.

Ford is actually more stringent about IMDS submissions than many other OEMs. And they want that submission much earlier: 6 months before Job 1 date. (Found out about that the hard way!)

B.G. Wiehle

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I'm with Dave - and the new Part Submission Warrant actually requires the number. We only resubmit if there is a print revision change as I believe that is one of the required fields when submitting to IMDS.

R

roland_lu

bgwiehle said:
Ford is actually more stringent about IMDS submissions than many other OEMs. And they want that submission much earlier: 6 months before Job 1 date. (Found out about that the hard way!)

B.G. Wiehle

Really? a hard way!! :(

GM asks for it if you want to have anything better than saleable status ( Full approval).

Ford in its specific requirements for PPAP 4th edition, Page 3/4, indicates IMDS is only one of the options, up to Ford Material Engineering's preference.

B

bgwiehle

roland_lu said:
Really? a hard way!! :(

Back in early June, with PPAP not until August and print changes still coming through, the Ford SQA communicates that the IMDS submissions for 3 assemblies (same program) were late and he wanted them submitted ASAP. Luckily I had most of the information for the current revison already together and got it done. I'll have to re-submit later because of all the changes.:bonk:

B.G. Wiehle

S

sept68

I have been the PPAP coordinator for over a year. I was improperly trained on what IMDS was and how to document it on the warrant. Several hundred PPAPs later I find out that I've been doing it wrong. We are self-certifying so are warrants are rarely scrutinized. My customer is Ford Motor. Is this a major problem?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I have been the PPAP coordinator for over a year. I was improperly trained on what IMDS was and how to document it on the warrant. Several hundred PPAPs later I find out that I've been doing it wrong. We are self-certifying so are warrants are rarely scrutinized. My customer is Ford Motor. Is this a major problem?

Yes. IMDS is important part of PPAP. Your IMDS submission allows the next party to complete their assembly submission. If you were submitting your PPAPs, they would be rejected (by knowledgeable parties) if that information is missing. You should also be demanding of the IMDS number from your suppliers on their PPAP.

Top Bottom