Mil Spec Parts: Who can make and sell them?

J

jameslaz

I find myself as a loss over what I assume is a very simple question. Someone in my company just asked me if we can make and sell to our customer MS parts (MS20668H for example). We use several MS parts in our facility and some are becoming harder and harder to come by or are just expensive. We would like to make our own. I assume (yes I know what happens when you assume) if you meet the requirements of the MS specification then it should be ok. I need to be sure before we are not violating some law and that the parts will be usable. I have been in the PMA business before and I hope it’s not like that to get an approval. Thanks in advance for any help.

James

G

goodnede

Re: MS Parts, Who can make and sell them?

Alot of MIL SPEC parts have a QPL associated with them that you would have to be an approved supplier to provide.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource

Hi James,

We build MS21919 series clamps (among others). I looked at the revision E print and it calls out a procurement specification (MIL-C-8603). I looked at that and it calls out basic requirements for materials and processes and packaging.

On Boeing prints, our company name is specified in the procurement section. I didn't think the MS print did, but I checked.

I believe as long as you can meet the requirements, you can build it. (If you mess it up, they issue you a GUIDEP.) I don't know if we had to do anything else to get military approval, but I believe not.

I hope this helps!

Eric

J

jameslaz

Is there an easy way to find out what MS parts have a QPL?

J

jameslaz

I looked at the MS spec and sure enough it states QPL-171. I learned somthing new today. Thank you for all your help.

James

B

Brian75137

Unless you submit your parts to the Defense Supply Service Center (DSSC) in Huntsville, AL for appproval, they cannot be considered as MIL parts. You will need to submit test data & also qualify your production facility to the MIL requirements. Unless you plan to manufacture the parts in fairly large quantity (usually for sale elsewhere too), it does not become economically to do so. Should you decide to do this and get DSSCV approval, then you would then be QPL listed.

B

Brian75137

To ind a QPL for a MIL spec part (e.g. MIL-C-8603) just replace the MIL-C- with QPL. Thus you'd be looking for QPL8603.

B

Brian75137

Anyone can make a part to a MIL spec and use it, but you cannot call it a MIL part unless it has been certified by DSCC through testing results & approval. Without this, you cannot call it a MIL part and you would not be listed on the appropriate QPL.

Top Bottom