Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsAS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for CalibrationThe Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), audit nonconformances and findings, calibration (general topics), calibration past due date measurement equipment and gages

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 8th December 2017, 11:56 AM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,127
Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AndyN View Post

While this is a laudable thing to identify, as an auditor it's not as helpful as it really should be. One item out of how many gauges? Another thing to discover is what the effect of not being recalled is on the specification of the gauge. For example, I recently audited some torque wrenches which had been calibrated each year for 6 years. The records show that the things don't vary by 0.1%. So, being 5 years late for calibration wouldn't matter!
I fully support Andy's comment and the need to elevate the standards of auditing. Auditing for effectiveness and performance is, undoubtedly, a much more valuable proposition.

But, let's remember, many times during the audit process, the auditor does not have time for the discovery of the context surrounding the nonconforming situation, or upcoming changes to the process at hand.

In the example offered by the OP, I believe that the lack of calibration still needs reporting, so the organization might decide what to do. Such, as correction only, change of calibration frequency, or a full blown corrective action.

Audit for effectiveness is something that I fully support. But we still need to report on audit findings and let the auditees assess the context surrounding the findings and the extent of correction and/or corrective action.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 8th December 2017, 12:04 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,676
Thumbs up Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

But, let's remember, many times during the audit process, the auditor does not have time for the discovery of the context surrounding the nonconforming situation, or upcoming changes to the process at hand.

In the example offered by the OP, I believe that the lack of calibration still needs reporting, so the organization might decide what to do. Such, as correction only, change of calibration frequency, or a full blown corrective action.

Audit for effectiveness is something that I fully support. But we still need to report on audit findings and let the auditees assess the context surrounding the findings and the extent of correction and/or corrective action.
Agreed, Sidney and thanks for your comments. Since this was an internal audit, I would have hoped for the auditor to do a little more digging. The effect on the process from that point on could be taken into consideration (any later inspections/checks, product failures etc). And why not also recommend that an internal audit be conducted on the calibration system in the next few days?
  Post Number #11  
Old 9th December 2017, 09:51 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,676
Read This! Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jwdjmd View Post

It is a radiometer "puck" used in the set up of one of our expose tools. It is calibrated.

There is nothing in the operation's work instruction stating that the operator has to verify the calibration status of the "puck" so that's why I want to write it up against the standard. The sticker is in a prominent place and is very hard to miss. The thing that gets me is that the puck is used daily and it's been past due for calibration for quite awhile and no one stopped to let the engineer know it was past due.
At another audit, there's a lot to be discovered here. Like why, if it's so important that a calibrated puck be used, is there nothing in the work instruction? If an instruction is an important process control and using a calibrated puck part of that, why didn't the author state that? Is it the operator's responsibility to inform anyone about this situation? Apparently, management don't think so! If the puck itself is (apparently) so important to the operation of the process, then how can it not have been recalled as required? Oh there's waaaaayyyy more to this that worrying about quoting a clause of a standard most people don't know about...
  Post Number #12  
Old 9th December 2017, 01:03 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,270
Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jwdjmd View Post

During an internal audit (AS9100D), I came across a tool that had a calibration sticker on it indicating that the tool was past due for calibration. I want to write up the department for using this tool but I am at a loss to which clause to write it under.
What clause would cover the fact that operators didn't check the calibration status of the tool before they used it? 7.1.5.2??

I am having a brain fade...
First - is the tool a customer tool?

Second - does the tool need calibration?

Third - does the tool accepts product?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >