Best way of ensuring compliance with regulations as opposed to standards

T

Truppenzwei

Hi all,

As I'm UK-based I realise some of you will not be massively able to answer me but I've seen a few UK people kicking about so thought I'd ask anyway. Also I'm sure there are a few people over there in the colonies with the same question.

Basically, what have people found the best method for keeping up to date with the various regulations. I know that I can shell out some money, join BSi and then pay some more and they will keep my copies of the standards up to date, but how do I make sure that I'm staying up to date with the regulations - especially with things like the WEEE (sp??) directives and that sort of thing, as well as the more 18001 style things.

In fact what about plain employment law and that sort of thing?

It all seems to be a total minefield, because as far as I can make out if you are certified in 9001, 14001, or 18001 etc you are, as part of that, stating that you are in compliance with the relevant statutory and regulatory guidelines, which at the moment I would have to say I'm not 100% sure that I am. I'd probably have to say that at the moment (please bear in mind I'm currently learning all this ISO stuff while overhauling an existing system) we rely on the external auditor to pick up if we aren't compliant, which I would assume isn't the way to be doing things.

So does anyone have any sufggestions/sites/services along those lines?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
T.

M

MIREGMGR

One approach is to hire a Regulatory Manager and make it their job.

They presumably would devote the greater number of hours needed to continually cycle through the available information sources so as to keep their knowledge current.

T

tigerfan51

Hire an environmental consultant. They can do two things for you - periodically evaluate compliance (clause 4.5.2 of 14001:2004) and help you keep up to date with regulatory requirements (clause 4.3.2). Most manufacturing companies I audit use an environmental consultant for these tasks because they do not have the in-house expertise.

A

arios

Compliance can not be a single person's job, but certainly giving individuals responsibilities over certain areas will be of help.

What helps to promote compliance? I would list some aspects I consider important:
1) Management should emphasize the importance of following procedures and demonstrate comittment, particularly the management rep. Also train management on the aspects of compliance.
2) Develop a well qualified internal audit team which can have various areas of expertise depending on your management system scope
3) Establish a good Corrective and Preventive Action system and get management support to make it work effectively.
4) Create procedures that are easy to understand
5) Have a good management review process

I hope this helps

Greetings from Mexico
Alberto

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom