Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
We are starting the Sustainability initiatives in our organization and focusing on the Triple Bottom Line - planet, people and profit.

Any headsup or advice that will be helful for my understanding is highly appreciated. Are there any good weblinks that I could refer.

Many thanks in advance. :thanks:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
We are starting the Sustainability initiatives in our organization and focusing on the Triple Bottom Line - planet, people and profit.

Any headsup or advice that will be helful for my understanding is highly appreciated. Are there any good weblinks that I could refer.

www.eicc.info

This has a good focus on the subject ...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Ajit, as with any "initiative", it is CRITICAL that top management sees this as a long term, wise investment; otherwise their support will be fickle. Suggest you peruse the long term data of company's financial performance vis a vis their sustainability ratings: Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes.

CORPORATE SUSTAINABILITY

Corporate Sustainability is a business approach that creates long-term shareholder value by embracing opportunities and managing risks deriving from economic, environmental and social developments. Corporate sustainability leaders achieve long-term shareholder value by gearing their strategies and management to harness the market's potential for sustainability products and services while at the same time successfully reducing and avoiding sustainability costs and risks.

The quality of a company's strategy and management and its performance in dealing with opportunities and risks deriving from economic, environmental and social developments can be quantified and used to identify and select leading companies for investment purposes.

Leading sustainability companies display high levels of competence in addressing global and industry challenges in a variety of areas:
Strategy: Integrating long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation.

Financial: Meeting shareholders' demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting.

Customer & Product: Fostering loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long-term.

Governance and Stakeholder: Setting the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting.

Human: Managing human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in-class organisational learning and knowledge management practices and remuneration and benefit programs.
Corporate sustainability performance is an investable concept. This is crucial in driving interest and investments in sustainability to the mutual benefit of companies and investors. As this benefit circle strengthens, it will have a positive effect on the societies and economies of both the developed and developing world.
As with six-sigma, I believe that the megatrend of sustainability does not really create any "new" methodology, but aggregates a number of business excellence practices towards long term prosperity of an organization. To my dismay, most resources on "sustainability" practices totally ignore the QUALITY MANAGEMENT side of sustainability. Just looking at the title of ISO 9004:2009 should remind us that quality has a critical role towards sustainable development. I am currently working on a paper to show how important proper quality management piece is in the puzzle named sustainability.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Is the management driving this from within with a total dedication and commitment towards sustainability ... ?

Yes, its a Corporation wide initiative with a Sustainability Council formed with members from all regions and sgements of the Business. We just had our first teleconference of the Council members and shall have a first meeting next month.

Dear Ajit,

I have not seen this thread before sending you a reply to your mail. You may like to see www.wbcsd.org. I am also attaching the syllabus of a half a credit course on CSR/Sustainability that I teach the MBA students of the University of Pune; this will give you a bird's eye view of the subjects involved.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Attachments

• CSR syllabus (2).doc
    59 KB · Views: 194
Top Bottom