The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Unsecured pedestal mounted tools, oh my! - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
equipment (general - also see machines), risk management and analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 11th September 2018, 04:29 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,088
Re: Unsecured pedestal mounted tools, oh my!

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ADSJT View Post

You might want to contact the State OSHA. At a previous employer, we used the state's consultation program with great benefit. Their assistance was available for small businesses at no cost. They also did measurements of sound levels and air quality for us. We diligently followed their suggestions and implemented the changes. (Securing pedestals was one of the suggestions.) A couple of years later we had a full blown Federal site visit with zero findings. In fact, the auditor returned a few times because his supervisor expected findings. Good luck with your efforts.
This is good advice, IF AND ONLY IF you have the support to "diligently follow their suggestions".

If you get the advice and don't follow it, it will be harder to defend than "I didn't know, I'll do it right now".

Honestly, not much of a difference between the two...OSHA isn't one for being flexible...but what's the point of getting good advice if you don't follow it...

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 12th September 2018, 09:04 AM
ADSJT

Total Posts: 8

The first place to start would be getting upper management buy in before contacting state OSHA because, at least in my state, we were given a list of action items and a due date for implementation. If we chose not to implement, the state could notify Federal of our noncompliance.

We were fully committed to making our workplace safe. We would have rather spent money on safety measures than spend it on OSHA fines. After the fines, you still have to spend the money on implementation.

Maybe you can present them with examples of companies in you industry who have been fined, and the types of nonconformances that were observed.

Do you take care of the OSHA logs? If your DART number is higher than industry standards, it is only a matter of time until OSHA shows up.
  Post Number #11  
Old 12th September 2018, 09:38 AM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,088

Multiple pieces of good advice so far:

I would
1. read the requirement and interpretation letters myself
2. address the things that are in direct non-compliance (like the thread topic)
3. then consider getting an outside consultant (perhaps OSHA) in for review.

I can understand mgmt not wanting to spend the money...and when it is opinion it is their call to make.
But when its clearly an OSHA non-compliance, my guess is that you simply have to inform them.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >