How to do an MSA on an Automated Torque / Angle System

B

baggers719

I have been through several posts on here regarding MSA on torque, but not found the answer I needed.

I have an automated torque / angle gun that I use that has to meet a minimum / max toque and min/max angle specification.

It consists of screwing 4 screws into a nylon hole to attach a circuit board. The unit is automated (not sure i can mention names so trying to describe it) and consists of a gun driver and system which outputs torque achieved and angle achieved to give a pass/ fail criteria. Note: our IQC department calibrates this every 6 months nd overal torque Cpk / Ppk is well above 6.0.

How would I go about performing an MSA on this?

Thank you in advance.

Sean.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You may expect a lot of comments to this one. Everyone has an opinion.

My :2cents: is that most people confuse the torque process with torque measurement. Since you mentioned a torque gun, I interpret that as the process, not the measurement. Processes have capability, not R&R.

A torque analyzer, on the other hand, is a measurement device, not a process and would have an R&R.

B

baggers719

Thanks for the reply.

I gues I agree, there are two aspects. However, attached to the torque gun is a measurement system right? The controls of the system must measure the torque and angle achieved. I know I can get output of all parts ran and the torque and angle applied. Like I said I used this for capability which was very favorable. Now I am just confused how to perform a study of the measurement system within this process? Surely this still the gun which is part of the monitoring system?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The crux of your situation is the question of whether you can separate the performance of the measurement part from the process part. Can you independently perform an MSA on the torque measurement without using the portion that applies torque?

M

mu.ozcan

you will calculate cg (capability of gage) and cgk. because you do not have an operator for that machine it is automatic. there are lots of excel sheet to calculate that.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I'm with Miner on this. The application of torque is not the same thing as measuring the torque. The torque measurement of a torque driver is an aid to ensuring that the fastener achieves the necessary torque. It is that measurement that needs an MSA...

Top Bottom