FDA Quality Plan - Document Management Responsibility, section 820.20 d

B

Bridget

I am in the process of training new personnel on the FDA basics and would like to know if anyone is willing to share how they document Management Responsibility, section 820.20 d (quality planning). Some of them are stating that is what the quality manual is for but I never thought of it that way.

Thanks,
Bridget :tg:

lindal

Involved In Discussions
Bridget said:
I am in the process of training new personnel on the FDA basics and would like to know if anyone is willing to share how they document Management Responsibility, section 820.20 d (quality planning). Some of them are stating that is what the quality manual is for but I never thought of it that way.

Thanks,
Bridget :tg:

Most people do this as part of a regular management review after going over complaints, CAPA's, audit findings. The notes become the record of the review and everyone has a good idea as to where improvement is needed. I'm sure this has already been talked to death, so search the threads for further information.

:confused: Why are you worried about how to tell new employees about FDA basics of management review. Don't you already have a system in place for management review? Tell the people what you do.

L

B

Bridget

Sorry,

I guess I did not ask my question correctly ( that happens once in a while)
Section 820.20d refers to quality planning and how do we have this "established" and "defined". My coworkers want to know how others define this. Is it shown through audits, mgmt review, car's to show compliance, is the best place in the quality manual or does it take separate procedure? Before I answer them I wanted to get feedback as to how others do it so I we can discuss it at our next meeting. There are others in the Cove that may interpet this differently than I have.
Bridget

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Bridget said:
I guess I did not ask my question correctly ( that happens once in a while)
Section 820.20d refers to quality planning and how do we have this "established" and "defined". My coworkers want to know how others define this. Is it shown through audits, mgmt review, car's to show compliance, is the best place in the quality manual or does it take separate procedure? Before I answer them I wanted to get feedback as to how others do it so I we can discuss it at our next meeting. There are others in the Cove that may interpet this differently than I have.
Bridget
Bridget:

Do you have documentation that describes product specific manufacturing processes, inspections and tests that are performed including the order and references to the procedures and instructions? If the answer is yes, then this is a quality plan. Also look at ISO 90001:2000/ISO 13485:2003 7.1 Planning of product realization, note 1. The quality plan they are looking for is product specific, while your QA manual is general. Therefore, you would have a different plan for different products or product families.

B

Bridget

good explanation

Al:
We are in transition to ISO13485 and I will be the first to admit it will be difficult for me, the second is top management who at first reading were totally at loss. I may have more questions on Monday, Have a great weekend

Thanks for the answer.
Bridget

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Al Rosen said:
Bridget:

Do you have documentation that describes product specific manufacturing processes, inspections and tests that are performed including the order and references to the procedures and instructions? If the answer is yes, then this is a quality plan. Also look at ISO 90001:2000/ISO 13485:2003 7.1 Planning of product realization, note 1. The quality plan they are looking for is product specific, while your QA manual is general. Therefore, you would have a different plan for different products or product families.
In a regular manufacturing environment, organizations have used the term "Control Plan" to describe the process of assuring the finished product meets requirements. In the early years, folks sought "control" of quality through "detection" [of defects.] Gradually, folks came to understand the concept of "prevention" [of defects.]

Today, we speak in terms of "quality processes" and "quality plans" and the word "control" is rarely used outside the rarified air of Quality statisticians.

Ultimately, your Quality Plan should include all the "failsafe" things you do to ensure no faulty product reaches a consumer. The key is how you convince yourself and others the "failsafe" processes are effective.

Weiner Dog

Med Device Consultant
This section (as do others in the QSR) use the word "establish". This means that there has to be an implemented written procedure, this procedure is followed, and that you document that you did what was contained in this procedure.

Additionally, for quality plans, they can be globally (i.e. one plan that is generic to all products manufactured) or specific to each product (i.e. individual plans).

What is contained in a quality plan (i.e. a roadmap of your quality system) is actually found in a company's quality system records.

Ways to show quality plans hav been established include approved quality plans, documented staff training (which include that they have read the plans and know that the plans exist), signs/cards noting the quality plans, adherence to the quality system, etc.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
This section (as do others in the QSR) use the word "establish". This means that there has to be an implemented written procedure, this procedure is followed, and that you document that you did what was contained in this procedure.

Additionally, for quality plans, they can be globally (i.e. one plan that is generic to all products manufactured) or specific to each product (i.e. individual plans).

What is contained in a quality plan (i.e. a roadmap of your quality system) is actually found in a company's quality system records.

Ways to show quality plans hav been established include approved quality plans, documented staff training (which include that they have read the plans and know that the plans exist), signs/cards noting the quality plans, adherence to the quality system, etc.

Hi geochaz,

There is lot of enthusiasm on the "Quality Plans" as noted in 820.20.

Do you have an example that is acceptable by FDA ?

W

Watchwait

Great information - but still no example of an FDA "Quality Plan". Since FDA requires it, I assume every device manufacturer has one (we are just becoming one, so this is new to us). Would anyone be willing to share what they have actually in place to meet this requirement (redacted, of course)?:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom