Aversion of reading

Are you able to read daily a huge amount of mails without qualms?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Take me several reading to get the message, even it can be in my native language.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
S

selena15

Hi all
most of the time, we have to take into account while planing our daily working about the mails and others stuff that we got to read to know what is expected from us as task or as reply to our requests. sometimes you have an amount of reading in our native language, sometimes in foreign one, and even we can be fluent on it, it remain foreign one.
sometimes it contain additinal to a long mail, a huge pps requirements or pdf one.
personaly, i love to read and this is even a hobby for me. i start to read while i was 5 or 6 years old but guess what, sometimes i'm just exshausted when i receive a long mails with some huge attachement. it seems to me as that i have to climb the everest.

more seriously, can this feeling be considered as lazzy from our brain to read more and more? or he's just full ? from where come such aversion to read while we can be an old deep reader.
Is there any way to figure out this problem.
the proposal to read vertically are just a utopian stuff for me.
Your opinion is welcome

S

Sorin

I always do my readings (at work) in two takes.
First take is diagonal, open attachment.
Second take is point by point.

I should add that I like, I mean really like, reading. Give me a good book (any subject, does not matter) and I am kind of lost for the rest of the world.

S

selena15

Hi Sorin
sure if you read a topic that you like. I love to read too.

I'm wondering about the reading of requirements, tasks to fulfill. basically when several is delivered to your mail box in the same time with the same emergency.

more than this situation,I'm launching this topics because I'm notifying more and more many tasks aren't done or ignored or postponed or "delegated" and the claim is because it is too much to read.
I'm also wondering if the audio or even a video support to the requirements delivered in mail version or reading way to improve this issue
Sel

S

somerqc

When dealing with e-mails there are many ways to deal with large volumes,

1. If you see a "chain" of e-mails, find the last one and start at the bottom. You will be able to read all of the e-mails of that thread while only opening one

2. If you are cc'ed on an e-mails, a scan is usually all that is necessary.

3. Define times during your day when you will be reading e-mails (i.e. first thing, near lunch, end of day). If people really need to contact you, many of us have ways for that to happen - (re: Blackberry, cell phones, etc.) - let them help you prioritize things you need to do everyday.

That helped me when I was receiving in excess of 150 e-mails a day, I don't get that volume now so I tend to deal with them as they come in (working for smaller company).

G

Groo3

I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with too many e-mail's / requests not in my native tongue. I have before, but thankfully, it is no longer a common occurrence.

As for e-mail volume, I typically go by organizational structure and topic... Is it a request from my boss? is it related to my direct area of responsibility? Was I the on they sent it To ? or was I simply copied on the e-mail?

My worst day ever is when one of our databases got caught in a logic-loop and ended up sending me over 80,000 e-mail's in one day (before our IT group was able to resolve the issue). On average, with my current roles and responsibilities, I average about 40 to 60 e-mail's a day, most as FYI's (for your information), the rest ask me to either work on a project, resolve a problem, or ask me to offer advice on a subject/proposal.

S

selena15

Hi Groo
thank for reply,
As you said, for sure, we would try to manage it as we can. most of the FYI mails or even requirement which have a long term deadline, i use to read them during my long trips.
my request was about this kind of aversion that I'm notifying and even feel sometimes about to have to read lot to get an information, a task to be done, to confirm a requirement.
this is why i was wondering about if it make a sense to consider another support of provide information: as audio and video features.
Would you appreciate it more
Sel

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
This is an old thread. While you are welcome to add to it, the Poll is closed.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
As I recall, Selena, you read and write, perhaps speak, at least three languages. You work with folks from different nationalities, thus compounding the number of different language messages you may receive compared with most of us here in America. (Also compounding the problems those native language speakers may have when corresponding in a common language with you.)

I receive a tremendous number of emails each day (hundreds), but only a small portion require more than a quick scan since they are mostly broadcasts where my in-depth analysis and response is NOT necessary.

Most of my regular correspondents which often require close attention and response are filtered into special folders which I set aside time to read, analyze, and respond when I won't be distracted by phone calls or visitors. As I scan through the bulk of other mail, if I come across one which seems to fit into such a category, I manually transfer it from the general folder to a specialized one for later consideration.

Using this methodology, I can scan and dispose of 100 to 200 "general information" emails in an hour. Some of the special ones in a folder may take anywhere from five minutes to five days to adequately resolve (depending on whether much back-and-forth correspondence or outside research is necessary.)

Sad to say, every once in a while, a message which should have gotten my involvement slips through the net. Sometimes, it's just because the correspondent "buried the lead" (newspaper talk for not getting to the point immediately.) Other times, it is simply because the correspondent did not include a "call for action" (the statement which says, plainly, "I want your answer or comment on this specific point!")

On the other hand, I rarely lose messages which automatically get routed to the SPAM folder because I look through that folder twice a day BEFORE deleting the messages contained. The most common reason an important message goes to my spam folder is because I was included in a BCC address box, rather than as a direct or CC addressee. I rescue about five messages a week that fall into that category.

So, in answer to your original question
Is there any way to figure out this problem.
my response is that these steps are necessary:

1. PRESORT - using your email client options, set up filters to direct regular correspondents to special folders to separate them from the regular mass of unsorted mail which arrives daily.
  2. SCAN - just read through the first few lines to determine whether the message deserves priority and whether there is a reason to open the attachment immediately or whether it can wait.
  3. SORT - as you scan the bulk mail, delete or dispose of "junk" immediately, transfer important mail to special folders, think of creating new folders for newsletters, emagazines, etc.
  4. RESPOND - by priority (which YOU set, not the correspondent) note that setting the priority is the most difficult part because only you can decide whether a message from a client in a distant location takes priority over a colleague in another room in your building.

Top Bottom