Writing, it is. How's this related to quality?

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Great article I ran across today in Linkedin.

The Dullest, Most Vital Skill You Need to Become a Manager

How's this related to quality?

Documents in a QMS are a compilation of the best writing a company can produce. Such documents guide the organization to excellence. They have permanence beyond words and even beyond memos or emails. A good QMS enables leadership, and ownership of a company's processes, by all employees.

Further, the most effective medium for effective inter-company writing is a wiki, or equivalent home for a healthy QMS. It's better to have a one page memo with links to all the supporting stuff than the proverbial 6 page memo where all the background stuff needs to be served because it was only in the writer's head. In fact, it is even better to do away with internal memos entirely, save as automatic updates to where valuable information is incorporated into a growing knowledge base.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Great article I ran across today in Linkedin.

The Dullest, Most Vital Skill You Need to Become a Manager

How's this related to quality?

Documents in a QMS are a compilation of the best writing a company can produce. Such documents guide the organization to excellence. They have permanence beyond words and even beyond memos or emails. A good QMS enables leadership, and ownership of a company's processes, by all employees.

Further, the most effective medium for effective inter-company writing is a wiki, or equivalent home for a healthy QMS. It's better to have a one page memo with links to all the supporting stuff than the proverbial 6 page memo where all the background stuff needs to be served because it was only in the writer's head. In fact, it is even better to do away with internal memos entirely, save as automatic updates to where valuable information is incorporated into a growing knowledge base.
I thought it was only we old folks who valued the concise, explicit written word. I've gotten disenchanted with having to ask, "What, exactly, did you mean in your letter/memo/note?"

I'm OK with being linked to a well-written document, but, please, Deity, deliver me from Huffington Post-type dreck, which leaves out details and has no idea what a well-written lead paragraph should contain. I agree wholeheartedly that reference documents need to be accessible as, when, and if needed and revised when necessary, ensuring that obsolete versions are marked and stored as such.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I thought it was only we old folks who valued the concise, explicit written word. I've gotten disenchanted with having to ask, "What, exactly, did you mean in your letter/memo/note?"

I'm OK with being linked to a well-written document, but, please, Deity, deliver me from Huffington Post-type dreck, which leaves out details and has no idea what a well-written lead paragraph should contain. I agree wholeheartedly that reference documents need to be accessible as, when, and if needed and revised when necessary, ensuring that obsolete versions are marked and stored as such.

At least once a week I raise my eyes to the sky and apologize to the English teachers I frustrated as a young student - I wouldn't be making the living I do without them.

The concept of a wiki-world is nice, but as with the flying cars I was promised as a child, most of us live in a world where previous generation tech is the rule. And wikis, like their hardcopy counterparts, require resources to manage and have the same potential for bloat and disorganization.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
At least once a week I raise my eyes to the sky and apologize to the English teachers I frustrated as a young student - I wouldn't be making the living I do without them.

The concept of a wiki-world is nice, but as with the flying cars I was promised as a child, most of us live in a world where previous generation tech is the rule. And wikis, like their hardcopy counterparts, require resources to manage and have the same potential for bloat and disorganization.
To the topic of WIKI:
I learned recently there was some character living in a Scandinavian country who accounts for some obscene number of Wikipedia entries (more than anyone in the world.) It turns out this guy's "method" is to have created a "bot" which crawls the web like a Google spider and takes obscure facts and turns them into WIKIs. Some of these are only a sentence or two, called "stubs." In my mind, this type of aggrandization of data is even worse than Huffington - at least Huffington is a business model - this guy is just on some sort of super ego trip. There is no real benefit to the world from this guy's efforts. It's not like he is an expert on a topic, writing about it to enlighten the world, he just has his little bot plagiarize someone's material which may be in some form somewhere in the cloud and turn it into a WIKI. He, himself, may never even read his own entries. Where is the value or sense to that? It makes me wonder if a factoid from one of MY deathless tone poems here on the Cove has been scooped up by the little bot and turned into a WIKI entry.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
This article reads like a stub and may have been written by a fan. It is too short to provide encyclopedic coverage of a subject. If a stub has little verifiable information, or if its subject has no apparent notability, it may be deleted or be merged into another relevant article

Wes Bucey is a Quality Manager and a frequent poster on Elsmar Cove. His deathless tone poems have been scooped up by a tireless little bot and turned into a Wikipedia entry.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This article reads like a stub and may have been written by a fan. It is too short to provide encyclopedic coverage of a subject. If a stub has little verifiable information, or if its subject has no apparent notability, it may be deleted or be merged into another relevant article

Wes Bucey is a Quality Manager and a frequent poster on Elsmar Cove. His deathless tone poems have been scooped up by a tireless little bot and turned into a Wikipedia entry.
ROTFLMAOASTC:lmao:

Top Bottom