Different editions of Juran's Quality Handbook

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Anyone know if there is much difference in the contents of Juran's Quality Control Handbook between various editions?

I'm thinking of getting a copy for personal use, since it comes as highly recommended for anyone in the Quality field. I am new to the quality field and think it is a good addition to my library to further my knowledge of my new career direction.

One big caveat is the price of a new version is beyond what I would want to pay. I am at the beginning of my quality career you see. That means I've been looking at online bookstores and exchanges such as Abe Books. You will of course end up with ex library stock and older editions. That is why I am asking.

Is the 1970's edition still useable? How much has the details changed if at all? Also a lot of the editions are with another author, different ones for different editions. Does the additional author make any difference? Curious about it as this is supposed to be considered one of the Quality bibles from what I have read, from one of the main gurus in this field.

Anyone know the answers?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
TPBM,

I found the fifth edition worthwhile when compared with earlier editions. For me one of the biggest changes was to the cost of quality curves to accord with the teachings of Crosby.

No longer does the book talk about the optimum amount of quality.

John

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Get your boss to buy it for you as you should have a copy to refer to in your work if the situation arises.
Reference books are just as much a tool as standard or caliper.

TPMB4

Doubt it'll happen. My boss spending on something that he can't markup and sell on for a profit? What an interesting idea!
Seriously, fifth edition ?20 delivered. I'd rather just get my own copy. Stays with should I move on. Worth a punt I think. Prefer new books but not in this case at those prices. How are those prices justified so long after the first edition came out?

Ettore

I have bought the sixth edition last week- The first impression was negative because I have donate to my plant manager the fourth (you can download the fifth in internet) and sometimes the contest is different. Where is finish the history of QC in different place of the world? And the new edition is so thin and the cover is orrible respect to the old.
:nope:

Last edited:
Top Bottom