The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Well-oiled racket involving sale of ISO certificates uncovered in the UAE - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
certificates (general), scams (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 19th April 2017, 12:53 PM
Paul Simpson

Total Posts: 1,798
Re: Well-oiled racket involving sale of ISO certificates uncovered in the UAE

Thanks for this, Sidney. I've recently been given a new role to liaise with CASCO on behalf of TC 176. I'm looking to gather some options for how I deliver against the role requirements and this kind of feedback will be so valuable.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 20th April 2017, 05:04 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,056

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

About 10-15 years ago remember we all talked about this in jest righ here?
Not so much "jest" as I recall, but more "kidding on the square." Our original discussion began over a registrar headquartered in the USA with a reputation for issuing certificates as soon as the check cleared.

That discussion evolved into an exposť of some operations issuing certificates without even bothering to send an employee to a manufacturing site

From there, we determined that the bureaucratic gullibility of corporate purchasing processes combined with a thick-headed insistence that every link in a supply chain be "registered" to make life easier [read "cheaper"] for incoming inspection meant we professionals should go into the business of cobbling together generic paperwork (Q manuals and such) for supply chain links, then have our "Chinese Wall" separated divisions issue the certificates of registration to those same links. I think we pretty much determined the only things necessary were word processors, Word templates, printers, and reams of paper. Essentially, printing money without the pesky problem of being arrested for counterfeiting currency.

[How long do we have to wait before the furor dies down so we can start another round of lucrative deception?]
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 20th April 2017, 09:08 PM
ncwalker

Total Posts: 195

The bigger question is ... is this the only place in the world where this goes on, or is this the only place in the world where someone checked .....

Methinks the latter. In my job, I travel the world certifying suppliers. I can't tell you how many countries I have been in. I'm at the point where I don't even check for a TS Cert any more. Too many plants have this rascal hanging on the wall and I walk through the plant and wonder how they got it.

It's always in the company presentation. And I'm always "That's nice. When are we leaving the conference room and going on the floor."
Thanks to ncwalker for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 21st April 2017, 05:15 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 588

I'm going to express a slightly contrarian view, and say that I'm not too concerned. I trust that the market will sort it out in time...and hence I 100% support exposes like this...I just don't think it's anything to lose our heads over.

Cases of outright fraud can be litigated as such, certain registrars will rise to the top based on their reputation, and anyone relying on ISO certs (e.g. as a way to vet suppliers) will simply have to be more vigilant.

Publicly searchable databases will arise on their own (most large registrars already have them). Soon, due to demand, any reputable registrar will be expected to maintain a database where the public can authenticate certificates.

Quote:
Under normal circumstances the much trusted and globally recognised stamp is awarded only after a detailed audit and compliance survey which takes weeks, if not months. But here in the UAE you can have it for as little as Dh4,000 and within three days.
ISO 9001 audit taking months? ...maybe if you factor in the audit lead-time. ...but still, I think this statement is a bit misleading, and represents the process to be far more rigorous than it actually is in practice.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration