Happy 4th July 2006

J

jrubio

Re: Happy 4th July

A painting of the celebration of July 4th 1819, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by John Lewis Krimmel (a German-American immigrant painter active in Pennsylvania during the 1810's.)

The leftmost tent has a U.S. flag above a portrait of George Washington above a depiction of a naval battle of the War of 1812 (with slogan "Don't give up the Ship").

The rightmost tent has a flag of the state of Pennsylvania (motto "Virtue, Liberty, Independence") above a depiction of "The Battle of New Orleans".

Benjamin Latrobe's waterworks building is in the background.

Licensing
The two-dimensional work of art depicted in this image is in the public domain worldwide due to the date of death of its author, or due to its date of publication. Thus, this reproduction of the work is also in the public domain. This applies to reproductions created in the United States (see Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.), in Germany, and in many other countries.

Attachments

• 4th-of-July-1819-Philadelphia-John-Lewis-Krimmel.zip
    265.8 KB · Views: 340
D

D.Scott

Re: Happy 4th July

Speaking of pictures ----

This picture, originally called "Yankee Doodle" is now one of the most famous patriotic paintings in the U.S. It is titled "The Spirit of 76" and was painted by Archibald Willard. Willard lived in my town, Wellington Ohio and was a painter for a local carriage factory. On the 4th of July in the early 1870s he was watching a local parade from the upstairs window of the carriage shop and sketched the three local men leading the parade. He later moved to New York to study art and painted the picture from his sketch. The sketch and several of his early versions of "Yankee Doodle" reside in our local museum.

Attachments

• spiritlg.jpg
    spiritlg.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 184

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Have a happy and safe Indepedence Day!
007_120.jpg

exFireworks.jpg

S

sal881vw

This may be of a surprise for some, I don't know............ it certainly was for me.

Happy 4th of July

Attachments

• Liberty bell founders.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 189
C

Craig H.

sal881vw said:
This may be of a surprise for some, I don't know............ it certainly was for me.

Happy 4th of July

Thats the first I recall hearing it, and I have been to the Bell, in 1976 no less.

I doubt it has changed much.:)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Craig H. said:
Thats the first I recall hearing it, and I have been to the Bell, in 1976 no less.

I doubt it has changed much.:)

No, they're still waiting for Pass and Stow to fix it. They say the issue was bad design, not their casting. It also seems there are scheduling issues, and problems with material suppliers. They have a call in, though. :lol:

Top Bottom