On the Job Training in Critical Areas

W

WeMe1

Hi,

Currently we plan to buy a training software and I am worried about how to use the software in completing OJT in critical areas.

Problem: What if the OJT has to be conducted in critical areas and if the trainer doesn’t have access to the Training Software / System at that place.

The trainer has to rate / assess the training there itself while the training is in progress. But if s/he comes back to the desk and then completes the checklist within the software, then I don't think we are following cGMP here.

Kindly provide me a solution as to what the software can do in terms of a print out or a way where I cannot bring in paperwork

Thanks a lot
-RB

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day,

Since OJT is very often accomplished over a period of time, I have many times seen the trainee have a checklist of training items to be covered, with the trainer identifying him/herself during the course of the training completion and the date(s) the steps are accomplished. When the training cycle is finished or at planned phases/whatever your program says, the information can be entered into the software system. Maybe the original form will be kept, maybe not; customers may require it but I have never worked with a standard that does.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hi,

Currently we plan to buy a training software and I am worried about how to use the software in completing OJT in critical areas.

Problem: What if the OJT has to be conducted in critical areas and if the trainer doesn’t have access to the Training Software / System at that place.

The trainer has to rate / assess the training there itself while the training is in progress. But if s/he comes back to the desk and then completes the checklist within the software, then I don't think we are following cGMP here.

Kindly provide me a solution as to what the software can do in terms of a print out or a way where I cannot bring in paperwork

Thanks a lot
-RB
I am not sure I understand the purpose or scope of the "training software." Is it just a way to record completion and competence or is it an integral part of the training to perform a task? If it is merely a record, there is no injury to the current good manufacturing process if the recording is delayed until the trainer can return to a work station. If the trainer is incapable of keeping in memory the accomplishment of the trainee for the period of time it takes to return to a work station, this is a situation which needs to be explored:

1. is the checklist too long and complicated?
  2. is the trainer's memory impaired? (If so, how is he competent to train?)
  3. is the training session itself so long and complicated that competence achievements must be recorded immediately? (If so, how is the trainer confident the trainee has retained the competence beyond the immediate moment?)

K

kgott

Hi,

Thanks a lot
-RB

I would imagine that most training software program enables records to be attached.

Training (competency as its called here) is a big thing here mostly from an OH&S perspective but its also moving into quality now. In some previous roles I have been responsible for maintianing competency records of staff and I have found that software programs for listing competency needs of staff are plentifull, they all have limitations unless you pay a lot of money for them.

On one job we used a log of tasks that a new staff member had to be able do competently before it was signed off by the more skilled and trusted 'buddy.' As all task sheets were complete they were signed off by the manager and scanned into the persons competency file. This system worked very well and external auditors often said our competency records were a strength. A spreadsheet was used to list each employees skill needs.

Mind you, a global mining client was the driver of this as a lack of training was seen by them as a major contributor to unwanted events.

W

WeMe1

1. is the checklist too long and complicated?
The question is documenting as it happens. I can trust when someone says it was document / assessed as the training pursued but not when they say the trainer saw the training and later assessed him.

1. is the trainer's memory impaired? (If so, how is he competent to train?)
I am not pushing my point from this angle. I accept if the trainer is impaired he wouldn't even qualify as trainer. But can anyone give 100% recapture of memory. Also when the trainer is ticking the checklist, he sure must be recollecting the events which happened during the training. Whether the list is long or not, what if he cannot recollect the "event"

1. is the training session itself so long and complicated that competence achievements must be recorded immediately? (If so, how is the trainer confident the trainee has retained the competence beyond the immediate moment?)
No the training session can be 5 minutes of 50 minutes. Since this is OJT the trainer will first demonstrate and then the trainee will perform the actions. But the performance of trainee for actions those listed in OJT checklist should be evaluated there itself so that ' the evaluation' is transparent.

But I appreciate your points and thank you much

Top Bottom