Movement (Migration) of Data between Applications

L

LNeJame

This is a question mainly for my own curiosity.

How often does the need arise to handle things like data migration? let's say from a legacy system or excel spreadsheet to another software system? Or just simply transferring data between systems such as moving part information from an ERP system into a quality management system?

Not in an effort to try to sell or advertise, but in an effort to get an understanding of whether or not there is an application for this solution called Foxtrotone. It's a scripting software that should handle data management tasks.

From my experience, I've come across some of these issues from time to time, but I wanted to get peoples opinions.

Thanks,
Larry

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Foxtrotone is an Enablesoft product; according to the website, it's their "flagship" product. You're an account manager for Enablesoft, right?

Your post is a bit vague - are you asking if anyone has used it? I would think that the decision of whether or not there's an application for the product would have been made before the design and development stage. It's a bit late now.

Without any other info, it may appear that you're just name-dropping. You should indicate your vested interest in your post so people know.

Last edited:
L

LNeJame

That's correct I do work for EnableSoft. My post wasn't intended to name-drop the product. I try to be as careful about posting stuff like this as possible.
From my experience working with companies in the past there have been large disconnects in the internal systems they use, i.e. between an ERP and quality system. That is one area that I've seen a lot of pain in before.

The difficult thing sometimes is people don't know they have something wrong or there's a better way until something bad go wrong or something better comes along. Admittedly that's kind of a vague statement.

With Foxtrot, there simply isn't another application, at least that I've seen in my half dozen or so year in enterprise software, that is like it. When I first saw Foxtrot, some switches got switched and there was kind of an "A HA" moment where I started thinking of ways to use this software.

That's why yes I am kind of name dropping the product a bit, but I sincerely believe that it can significantly help organizations out, and make systems and processes run more efficiently.

By the way the primary customer base for EnableSoft has been financial institutions, simply because that's where management came from and they had a number of connections in that world. I am trying to reach out to the manufacturing world on this to get some feedback.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
That's correct I do work for EnableSoft. My post wasn't intended to name-drop the product. I try to be as careful about posting stuff like this as possible.
From my experience working with companies in the past there have been large disconnects in the internal systems they use, i.e. between an ERP and quality system. That is one area that I've seen a lot of pain in before.

The difficult thing sometimes is people don't know they have something wrong or there's a better way until something bad go wrong or something better comes along. Admittedly that's kind of a vague statement.

With Foxtrot, there simply isn't another application, at least that I've seen in my half dozen or so year in enterprise software, that is like it. When I first saw Foxtrot, some switches got switched and there was kind of an "A HA" moment where I started thinking of ways to use this software.

That's why yes I am kind of name dropping the product a bit, but I sincerely believe that it can significantly help organizations out, and make systems and processes run more efficiently.

By the way the primary customer base for EnableSoft has been financial institutions, simply because that's where management came from and they had a number of connections in that world. I am trying to reach out to the manufacturing world on this to get some feedback.

Understood. If you were simply trying to get feedback and find out more about internal system disconnects in the manufacturing world, I wasn't clear on why the product's name was mentioned; doing this contributes nothing towards your goal of getting feedback. It's fine that you sincerely believe that the product can significantly help organizations out and make systems and processes run more efficiently, but this definitely clashes with what you stated what your intentions were. The statement is a pitch without letting people know it's a product you sell, nothing more.

It would be interesting to see if that product really can help; although system disconnects are often due to the company buying into data management systems without doing their homework (i.e. not seeing if the systems can play nice with each other), it would be good to have a product that is agnostic of the applications themselves. Can it do this? What I don't like about current softwares are the way they handle changes to the database - often, you cannot tell if a change is global or not, and if the database is big, this becomes a huge concern.

It's clearer now, thanks for that.

Last edited:
L

LNeJame

U

It would be interesting to see if that product really can help; although system disconnects are often due to the company buying into data management systems without doing their homework (i.e. not seeing if the systems can play nice with each other), it would be good to have a product that is agnostic of the applications themselves. Can it do this? What I don't like about current softwares are the way they handle changes to the database - often, you cannot tell if a change is global or not, and if the database is big, this becomes a huge concern.

It's clearer now, thanks for that.

A case I've seen more often than someone not doing their due diligence on a software system is simply cost. They might have to sacrifice that "built in" integration to get a lower cost system. Either way it's something I've seen more often than not.

To answer you question of whether Foxtrot is agnostic of the applications themselves, the answer is yes. It will work with virtually any Windows based, Web based or even terminal emulators "green screens". It's object oriented, which means that it reads the details of the object is targeting, so if changes are made to the interface or even the backend database, it will still run. If for some reason it doesn't recognize the target, there is built in error handling... Sorry not trying to get preachy with the software, just answering the question.

Top Bottom