Product Registration - Assembly Drawings

S

srrbell

Hello All,

I am in the middle of working with our distributor to register one of our products in Japan. They've requested product specs, labeling, risk analysis, etc., which all makes sense. But now they are asking for drawings with dimensions, and in some cases, assembly drawings. I've reviewed the list of required technical documentation and don't see drawings listed anywhere at all. Has anyone else run into this?

P

PaulJSmith

I would tread very lightly around anyone requesting proprietary information about your products, especially when not required by any contract or standard.

S

srrbell

Yes, those were my thoughts as well. Guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else as well, because there have been times in the past when I have refused to send such information and the distributors became a little difficult to work with.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
srrbell,

I agree with Paul. You may need to develop your management system to protect your IP.

Presumably it already protects your customer's IP.

John

rob73

looking for answers
We had the same thing, we submitted drawings with only overall dimensions and not a lot of detail to give an idea of the size of the product. This approach seemed to work and we got registration.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Mind the culture / language gap.

Perhaps by "assembly drawings" they just refer to a drawing depicting the finished device ("assembled") with the overall dimensions and the formalities of PN, description, revision, sign-offs etc., not to a drawing detailing components and showing how it's actually assembled.

It Was I Who

SQA Supplier Quality Assurance Manager
Take into qaccount if they are pointing towards any STD were it actually say they are entiteled to see or get the drawings, it might be so they are entiteled the pusrchased drawing with dimensions on it to be able to make there counter measurments on the part only to make audits on the product, this is very different depending on what it is actually you are selling them

"It was I" is correct, although I have frequently found some verbage buried in the technical specs. We supply top level only, so to get around this, they have taken to asking for "vector image files" for Illustration catalogs in "native formats", and the last thing we intend to do is supply dwg files, even of top level items. It is always a battle to protect your IP.

Top Bottom