Suggestions for a 100% Paperless Manufacturing Shop Floor

S

Sandy Simpson

I have been tasked as one of my objectives this year to implement a 100% paperless manufacturing shop floor. Currently we print off our work orders, inspection sheets, material traceability form, and the drawing as a packet and send it to the shop floor. The completed packet is then scanned and saved electronically.
I would like to know how other companies have implemented a paperless system. Is there a specific software out there that can hold these types of documents and still allow the operator to enter data onto them?
:thanx:

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have been tasked as one of my objectives this year to implement a 100% paperless manufacturing shop floor. Currently we print off our work orders, inspection sheets, material traceability form, and the drawing as a packet and send it to the shop floor. The completed packet is then scanned and saved electronically.
I would like to know how other companies have implemented a paperless system. Is there a specific software out there that can hold these types of documents and still allow the operator to enter data onto them?
:thanx:
There is a company that advertises here on the site that uses terminal displays with the procedures on-screen. I suspect there are others. Everything can be brought up for viewing. Don't know why it wouldn't work for other documents like work orders, shipping, inspection, etc. Might be worth a look.

S

Sandy Simpson

Yep, that is one of the softwares that I am currently comparing but I'm looking for more suggestions. Thanks for your input!!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I built ours for a paperless fab process.

Since all companies I'm aware of have their own preferences, I chose to build it on an open architecture Dbase.

Math intensive stuff (testing, CMM measures, etc.) are output to locked XL sheets, and can be attached to the Dbase.
Procedural docs are live viewable in pdf from within the Dbase
Inventory, dispense, instruction, working specs, drawings, approvals, blah blah blah.

I found Filemaker Pro to be quite easy to use and modify.

Note that Filemaker is a Dbase PROGRAM...not a Dbase ready for your shop. You have to build your own if you go this route (though they have a number of "starter solutions" packaged in).

So far, we have had remarkable success and are now moving other areas of the plant paperless (pricing, quoting, MSDS Generation, etc)...even ones we never thought we would.

{I am not affiliated with Filemaker, Inc. I just like their product and have had good success with it}

P

PaulJSmith

Good info. We are looking at doing the same, and are considering pad-type devices at all the shop workstations. We've only just started this conversation in the last couple of weeks, but it seems to have support from the ownership.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have a local engine remanufacturer that did this about 10 years ago. Amazing benefits. Kind of a WOW factor when you go on a tour there.

S

Sandy Simpson

Have you thought about using drop-down touch screen monitors instead of the tab-type devises that could be miss placed or damaged by having something spilt on them? Just a thought.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
We are looking at doing the same, and are considering pad-type devices at all the shop workstations.

We considered the same and did not pursue it.

Main reasons:
Desktop computer is cheaper
Battery life
Portability = misplace-ability
Ease of use (primarily full size keyboard with number pad)

We got desktop computers, tucked them away, and just have a wall-mounted monitor, a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse.

(Note: make sure the computer has adequate ventilation..."tucking them away" without airflow fries the computer...BTDT:D)

S

Sandy Simpson

You make a good point. I was thinking on the lines of a ceiling mounted touch screen monitor that could be pulled down when needed and pushed back up out of the way when not. A wireless mouse could be used if needed.

Top Bottom