Differences between IATF 16949:2016 vs ISO/TS 16949:2009

C

Chaithanyia

Hi Friends,

Good Evening!!!!

Can any one please give us a brief about the changes in IATF16949:2016 vs TS16949:2009.

May be a presentation or a document.

Thanks in advance

V

V.G.PADMANABHAN

Re: Differences between IATF16949:2016 vs TS16949:2009

Thank you Soo much. This is really an extensive explanation on changes.

B

BatteryHen

I just had a look at the link and it is the most comprehensive list - many thanks for the point to it!

However, I do have a question that I hope can be answered!
In ISO 16949 there was a reference and a Sanctioned Interpretation (No 1) regarding Small businesses - those too small to be able to or willing to get ISO9001 accreditation. 8.4.2.3 now states that the organisation Shall require their suppliers to develop, implement etc.. unless authorized by the customer.
Am I correct in suggesting that written approval to use non-accredited suppliers must now be obtained from all customers? And that the supplier must be audited to 2nd Party level (as per 8.4.2.4.1) on a regular basis?

We have a supplier who is very good at what they do but is a one-man band operation - but whose quality and performance is far better than some of our 9001 approved suppliers! They have no wish or incentive to pursue 9001 as we are the only customer who requires it. I'm sure our company is not unique in having such suppliers either...

Any thoughts?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

To my knowledge the IATF has not released any sanctioned interpretations or FAQs for the new standard. For now I have to assume that they expect the text in IATF 16949 to be complied with as written.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

I just had a look at the link and it is the most comprehensive list - many thanks for the point to it!

However, I do have a question that I hope can be answered!
In ISO 16949 there was a reference and a Sanctioned Interpretation (No 1) regarding Small businesses - those too small to be able to or willing to get ISO9001 accreditation. 8.4.2.3 now states that the organisation Shall require their suppliers to develop, implement etc.. unless authorized by the customer.
Am I correct in suggesting that written approval to use non-accredited suppliers must now be obtained from all customers? And that the supplier must be audited to 2nd Party level (as per 8.4.2.4.1) on a regular basis?

We have a supplier who is very good at what they do but is a one-man band operation - but whose quality and performance is far better than some of our 9001 approved suppliers! They have no wish or incentive to pursue 9001 as we are the only customer who requires it. I'm sure our company is not unique in having such suppliers either...

Any thoughts?

Not sure that this really changes it for those mom and pop shops. We had to get customer authorization under TS, and IATF seems to require the same thing. Our issue was frequently what that authorization looked like. I had emails from my customer wherein their view was that since we where responsible for our suppliers quality, we could basically pick who we wanted. A few auditors didn't like that.

joekirk

Involved In Discussions

It really depends on your organization. Refer to Section 8.4.1.2 and 8.4.2.3 in IATF16949.
If your supplier is not ISO9001 registered, you should have at least conducted a compliance audit on that supplier.
As long as you have audited them and they have a plan to achieve certification, you should be ok. If the attitude is that they will never go for certification, you should have documented that they are compliant via a 2nd party audit.

B

BatteryHen

It really depends on your organization. Refer to Section 8.4.1.2 and 8.4.2.3 in IATF16949.
If your supplier is not ISO9001 registered, you should have at least conducted a compliance audit on that supplier.
As long as you have audited them and they have a plan to achieve certification, you should be ok. If the attitude is that they will never go for certification, you should have documented that they are compliant via a 2nd party audit.
Our problem is that this small supplier, brilliant as they are, would never pass 9001:2015! Specifically clauses 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4!
So we're going to have to go down the customer waiver route!

Top Bottom