How to understand IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.2.1 - Traceability

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
The purpose of traceability is to support identification of clear start and stop points for product received by the customer or in the field that may contain quality and/or safety-related nonconformities.

Where is the start and stop points? In the organization site? or supply chain?

The second part the sentence: does it mean "The purpose of traceability is to support identification in the field that may contain quality and/or safety-related nonconformities" ?

Thanks

Jelly

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Hi, My guess for start and stop points would be in time frame or manufacturing lots. I think when a specific problem in products is found either at customers or in the field, the subject of highest interest would be from what lot number (Start point) to what lot number (Stop point) the NC products are in so that they can contain the problem correctly.

jelly1921

Hi, My guess for start and stop points would be in time frame or manufacturing lots. I think when a specific problem in products is found either at customers or in the field, the subject of highest interest would be from what lot number (Start point) to what lot number (Stop point) the NC products are in so that they can contain the problem correctly.

The start and stop points could be individual parts which have individual identification serialized.

julsbear

Involved In Discussions
Usually the traceability would be through the supply chain. Keep a record of your supplier's lot number(s) that are used to make your lots. This works well with one or a few vital materials that go into your product. If you have a fastener that is a minor component yet is important because it holds your product together that you buy a lot of and it is used in multiple products, good luck!

Last edited:

jelly1921

What does the "manufacturing location" means?

--- different production line?
--- different location of plant?

maggylu168

Involved In Discussions
The question depends on how big or risk estimation the nonconformity can be in your organization. Therefore the definition of corresponding traceability should be pre-planned to the level that the impact scope or q'ty can be contained.

Top Bottom