Industrial MRI Diagnostic System - Which IEC standard should I use when testing?

Dear all,

I am working with a technical team that is developing MRI system for use in the industry (like crude oil, crude fuel etc).
This type of product can be classified under the name "industrial MRI diagnostic system".
1.Can you help me in finding which IEC standard should I use when testing this new product?
2. Does it require FCC testing process?
3. Does it require UL testing process?

Thank you in advance
Nissim

M

MIREGMGR

Re: Industrial MRI diagnostic system

Perhaps I don't understand your technical issues, but in the past I've seen such systems described as NMR technology.

I don't know, but would guess, that if your system is used within a Faraday-cage-equivalent as is the norm for human-diagnostic MRI, the FCC would not be involved. If on the other hand your device operates unshielded, I'd assume that it'd be a pretty noisy transmitter and they would take notice and regard their spectrum-usage, emission-limit and non-interference requirements as applicable.

UL is a commercial test lab, falling under the US NRTL rules. NRTLs certify conformance to various standards and regulations. (Canada has an integrated system, though with slightly different terminology.) Some NRTLs can issue a certification that a product conforms to aspects of the National Electrical Code or another applicable code; in the US and Canada, such certification often is required by the relevant property insuror at, and/or electrical inspector for, the location of a potential customer before electrically operated equipment (or sometimes other equipment types) can be installed and used.

Thank you for the information
I need another answer please :
What safety standard (IEC ...) is needed from such an MRI/NMR system?

M

MIREGMGR

Standard compliance normally isn't not a freestanding goal; rather it's (usually) one way to establish that you've complied to a legally imposed rule/directive in a particular marketing target, whether a nation or region.

In Europe, for instance, medical devices must conform to the Medical Device Directive.

In the US and Europe, as an example, medical devices are legally required to be (using the US FDA shorthand term) safe and effective. I don't know of any jurisdiction (except perhaps Germany and Japan?) where industrial testing equipment is legally required to be effective. In many jurisdictions, on the other hand, mains-connected, electrically powered equipment is required to be shock- and fire-safe, and RF-emitting equipment is required to conform to spectrum-usage, emission-limit and non-interference requirements.

So, two questions: where are you intending to market, because that determines what legally imposed rules/directives might apply, which then would lead to what standards might be relevant; and, are you asking about electrical safety, or RF conformance, or some other issue?

M

MIREGMGR

I don't have expertise in either answer for such a system.

One of you readers out there that doesn't usually answer...it's your turn.

Top Bottom