Standard Equipment List for Stocking a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory

S

swittie

Does anyone have a generic list / estimated cost for stocking a dimensional metrology lab... i.e. a shopping list for creating one from scratch...

the industry is sheet metal+paint+plastics+electromechanical assy = final product

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Standard Equipment list for a dimensional metrology lab

Thread moved as question is specific to Metrology.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

What kind of equipment will this lab calibrate? That will determine the equipment necessary.

Is it an internal lab or external? That will also dictate the kinds of training and a number of other criteria to be considered.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What kind of equipment will this lab calibrate? That will determine the equipment necessary.

Is it an internal lab or external? That will also dictate the kinds of training and a number of other criteria to be considered.
The OP didn't mention doing calibration internally or otherwise. I think he's looking for standard measurement devices which would include (off the top of my head):

• CMM and probes
  • Surface plate(s)
  • Height gage(s)
  • Optical comparator
  • Calipers, micrometers, linear scales, tape measures
  • Torque wrenches
  • Feeler gages
  • Thread gages (plug and ring)
  • Radius gages
  • Pin gages
  • 1-2-3 blocks and other assorted fixtures and clamps
  • Coating thickness gage
  • Colorimeter/spectrophotometer and light booth (if necessary)
  • Digital voltmeter(s)
  • Profilometer (if necessary)
  • Hardness tester (if necessary)
  • Machinery's Handbook and other reference material
  • Small refrigerator (for beer)
I'm sure there's more, but that should get you going.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Let's not forget a few other items:

A copy of The Metrology Handbook

Appropriately controlled space (it IS a Metrology lab according to swittie and therefore should be controlled as such)

And I agree with your idea for a fridge, though I would prefer a kegarator myself :cool:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Does anyone have a generic list / estimated cost for stocking a dimensional metrology lab... i.e. a shopping list for creating one from scratch...

the industry is sheet metal+paint+plastics+electromechanical assy = final product

Hello, Swittie! Welcome to the Elsmar Cove!:bigwave:

Along the lines with the others, it's a little hard to imagine what all you would need. Just with one item alone that Jim listed, there are all kinds of optical comparators with many different functions. You may want one with a camera on it, computer interface, geometric dimensioning, etc. Or, you may just want a standalone, basic unit. It all depends.

What may be a way to go is to approach it from the other end: determine how much money (and space) you have, and then that will give you an idea of what you can purchase. I would give consideration first to the space and any environmental considerations.

Too, reviewing the different processes you currently have in place may also help in determining what equipment you will need.

B

brobinson

Hello, Swittie! Welcome to the Elsmar Cove!:bigwave:

Along the lines with the others, it's a little hard to imagine what all you would need. Just with one item alone that Jim listed, there are all kinds of optical comparators with many different functions. You may want one with a camera on it, computer interface, geometric dimensioning, etc. Or, you may just want a standalone, basic unit. It all depends.

What may be a way to go is to approach it from the other end: determine how much money (and space) you have, and then that will give you an idea of what you can purchase. I would give consideration first to the space and any environmental considerations.

Too, reviewing the different processes you currently have in place may also help in determining what equipment you will need.

It is good to approach the other end. If I were to set a lab up, I'd first determine the items that will require calibration. Then I'd consider the conditions to calibrate them, which would then determine the amount of environmental control required for testing as well as what equipment would be required to calibrate the items requiring calibration. I've seen offices that are turned into calibration labs. An item such as a Mic-Trac would be a great start. A set of quality gauge blocks(ceramic), and a set of length standards would be sufficient for most dimensional gauges.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Swittie, one other question. What - specifically - is the Metrology laboratory going to do, given the earlier discussion?

That will ALSO dictate the equipment.

T

True Position

If you get an optical comparator, definitely get the radius display etched into the glass. This is probably the fastest and best way to check radii I've found. At the same time I would recommend some Repro-Rubber, to allow you to cast then measure (with the optical comparator!) features which can be a pain to get to.

Also, the optical comparator is a lot faster for just checking a couple simple dimensions vs a CMM which can be a bit more of an involved process to use if you just wanted to check the length between two snap ring grooves or something.

If you're really going to splurge, a Brown and Sharpe Micro-hite is amazing and I wish I could justify buying one.

Top Bottom