Auditing Human Resources (ISO 9001)

D

DougieB

We have a Human Resources Manager who I have never audited, it was never mentioned the last time I had a re-certification audit. Would it be necessary or a good idea to audit them. Clause 6.22 I covered when auditing the other departments.

Big Jim

Admin
Re: Auditing Human Resources

Yes, it probably would be a good idea.

It seems like one of the more direct ways to find out if necessary competencies have been determined and appropriate records kept as to how they were met.

Before doing an internal audit on that topic it may also be a good idea to make the Human Resources Manager aware of what an auditor is likely to be looking for (review the requirements from the standard as well as any internal written procedures you may have on the topic).

R

Randy Lefferts

You aren't really auditing the manager are you? Perhaps you didn't mean it that way? :)
Processes get audited. Probably just semantics.
Is there anything in your own procedures/systems/processes that direct you to specifically audit HR?

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

We have a Human Resources Manager who I have never audited, it was never mentioned the last time I had a re-certification audit. Would it be necessary or a good idea to audit them. Clause 6.22 I covered when auditing the other departments.

Remember you are auditing the process, not the person. What role does the HR manager play in your company?

So, my suggestion is to review your processes and see what activities / tasks are part of the HR manager job (e.g. recruiting process, reviewing / creation of job descriptions, standard training)

R

Randy Lefferts

It seems like one of the more direct ways to find out if necessary competencies have been determined and appropriate records kept as to how they were met.

I had typed a response about this very thing, but re-read the post and saw that they had met the criteria of 6.2.2 in other areas. So I deleted that part of my response.

However, I agree Jim. HR tends to be the "normal" place to store performance reviews (at least the hardcopy, nowadays is most likely all electronic records), training records, educational records, etc. While sometimes training records are kept on the floor in the various departments and as such, might preclude a visit to HR, performance reviews, competency records, educational records and such are not usually kept on the floor, at least in my experience thus resulting in a trip to HR.

Big Jim

Admin

You aren't really auditing the manager are you? Perhaps you didn't mean it that way? :)
Processes get audited. Probably just semantics.
Is there anything in your own procedures/systems/processes that direct you to specifically audit HR?

OK, so interviewing people is one tool in auditing and the HR person is often an appropriate choice of who to interview and ask about competency records.

I think this is simply a matter of sematics.

D

DougieB

Thank you all for the great advice.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say I was auditing the manager:bonk:
I better get on with it then, thanks again.:thanks:

D

dt_bitz

Hi

For HR you can use following clauses:
4, 4.2,5.6, 6 , 7.1.3

When I do audit I use simple method of checking how process are made.
What process is here
How this process is done
What is checked and how its checked

Following this simple steps works for all departments.

In HR its very important to have all roles, job description updated. Training matrix should be available if needed (this is important in case of accident to ensure that person doing the job was actually train to do so).
Another one is communication between HR and other departments.
Management review input review should be included here.
For example if training is needed or new personnel is needed , most likely top management will need to approve budget for new person to join.
In some cases need for new personal or training might be delayed (example need for health and safety training). Its management responsibility to be committed to TS standard and support maintenance of the standard.

Another area is the confidentiality of the documents.
How safe are the records (in case of fire etc).

How effective HR process is - for example what are the targets for HR process, what is the target of setting up new employee in the system,. What is the interface between HR and IT department to ensure all details are set (user profiles and access to departments, IT system is set correctly - we don't want junior guys to have access to Corporate strategy minutes on the network right :))

I hope above helps.

regards
Damian

K

Kchnwtch

I just finished auditing the HR dept (one person). I found she was using job descriptions that weren't stored in our files (she sometimes operates independently as a consultant to other companies) and her descriptions were not approved for use (even though she knows best what the descriptions should be, they should still be reviewed/approved by someone on the management team). Technically, it's probably a document control NC, but she was trained and for 6 months was part of the management review team, so she should have known what was at stake, so I wrote the NC (CAPA) on 6.2.2 (2008) under records maintenance.

Ettore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would like an opinion about the preparation of a third-party audit to human resources.
I work at the security service and a few days before the last audit, the Manager of selection, development and training of human resources calls me and asks :
"Could you direct me to the registration of a well-made safety training course that can I show to the inspectors?":rolleyes:
Any comments on this?

Top Bottom