FRACAS (Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System) software

A

apawse

Hi

Does anyone know good software for FRACAS ?
Any recommendations from the list below
1) Relex
2) reliasoft
3) Isograph
or home grown?

I am looking for something which is
1) user friendly
2) Can be customized to our needs
3) Automates Data analysis. (Pareto's MTBF etc)

Please let me know.

Thanks

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Good Software recommendations for FRACAS

Anyone using FRACAS software who can comment on this?

C

Craig H.

FRACAS= Failure Reporting, Analysis & Corrective Action System

We use QSi from IBS. It works well, at times maybe a little too complex for our small company, but that's OK. We use it in an ISO 9001-based system, but they say that QSi supports 16949 and 14001 as well. BTW, this is a Lotus Notes system.

W

w_grunfeld

I had a look at IBS website for QSI features
It lists as its modules:
  • Document Control
  • Specification Control
  • CAPA (CARs, PARs, SCARs)
  • Nonconformances
  • Change Management
  • Customer Management
  • Supplier Management
  • Employee Training
  • Internal & Supplier Assessments
  • Management Reviews
  • Design Process Management
  • Inspection and Testing
  • Calibration
I don't see any that is a FRACAS
Can you pls. elaborate?
Thanks,
Willy

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I had a look at IBS website for QSI features
Hello Willy,

"FRACAS" is an abbreviation of: "Failure Reporting, Analysis & Corrective Action System." See previous post.
It is a system (software) that supports a variety of activities within a QMS (Quality Management System). It is in my view, not a single, or separate activity such as corrective action, preventive action, customer complaints, etc., but rather a system that supports all of these.

Look here: http://www.relex.com/products/fracas.asp At the bottom of the page you'll find "Technical Highlights", a listing of activities that this software supports.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with this company.

Stijloor.

Last edited:
W

w_grunfeld

Hello Stijlor,
Thank you for your reply. I know quite well what FRACAS is and also know about Relex Reliability Studio software. I was actually looking at IBS to find something similar to the link you provided and found none.
In contrast to the Reliability Studio which has a specific FRACAS module, my
question was which of the modules of IBS'es QSI supports FRACAS.
FRACAS is a specific activity that needs 3 major elements: a failure/incident database ,a workflow machine, just as Relex has and the third wich may be a link to a stand alone CA (Corrective Action) module.
A QMS does not necessarily have a FRACAS software tool.
Incidentally a search for the keyword FRACAS on the IBS site returns zero results....
Willy
Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with either of these 2 companies, just interested to know what other software similar to Relex is out there

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hello Stijloor,
Thank you for your reply. I know quite well what FRACAS is and also know about Relex Reliability Studio software. I was actually looking at IBS to find something similar to the link you provided and found none.
In contrast to the Reliability Studio which has a specific FRACAS module, my
question was which of the modules of IBS'es QSI supports FRACAS.
FRACAS is a specific activity that needs 3 major elements: a failure/incident database ,a workflow machine, just as Relex has and the third wich may be a link to a stand alone CA (Corrective Action) module.
A QMS does not necessarily have a FRACAS software tool.
Incidentally a search for the keyword FRACAS on the IBS site returns zero results....
Willy
Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with either of these 2 companies, just interested to know what other software similar to Relex is out there

Hello Willy,

Thank you for the clarification. I am sure that other Covers will respond with more specific (and much better :yes:) information regarding FRACAS. It's quiet during weekends on The Cove. Expect more responses on Monday....

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Is FRACAS defined somewhere in a published standard? If so, could you tell us where? If not, and it's just a generic term for a type of CA system (which will always--or should always--include failure reporting) I think that Craig's recommendation of the IBS package does include that sort of thing, but just doesn't call it FRACAS.

At any rate, you might want to look here and here.

In my Googling I also ran across what appears to be a fairly comprehensive description of a FRACAS system.
All are offered without recommendation from me.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Attachments

• MIL-STD-2155 (AS) FRACAS.pdf
    599.7 KB · Views: 637
Last edited by a moderator:
W

w_grunfeld

Hello Jim,

I found it. It's MIL-STD-2155 (AS) See attached.
Stijloor,
Thanks for the standard, I remembered too there was one....
Jim,
Anyway that is not the issue. FRACAS is 'a sort' of CA database. Every QMS software has elements of it. However what I meant is a dedicated stand alone or module of a larger enterprise software that AUTOMATES and streamlines the data collection, analysis and CA elements, in short another software similar to Relex Studio's FRACAS to compare it against.
Relex seems to have thought of everything , including tying it to the RMA process- at least on paper (I mean in their brochure as I have not tried it out in practice) . My original question was meant to get recommendations from people who might actually be using such software
Thanks for all who tried to be helpful

Top Bottom