How to Fix this Problem that is caused by so many different issues...

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Covers -

I am planning on have a meeting with Quality & Production to go over rejections from 2010 - 2012. All the rejections are grouped by issue / responsible department, etc.

When it comes to contamination - caused by Production - Here is what we have:

Contamination

Pelletizer Not Cleaned Properly
Dryer Not Cleaned Properly
Totes Not Cleaned Properly
Gala Not Cleaned Properly
Cross Contamination (Pellet)
Resin Burned In The Line
Poor Purging Job to Job
Handler Not Cleaned Properly
Did Not Follow Process Sheet

My plan was to review and discuss the contamination issues with the highest numbers (number of times it has happened) first. But even the highest numbers didnt happen THAT often.

I think what this all boils down to is that Production is not taking the time to properly clean equipment and it results in contamination.

How can I fix that?

I could try to put together training documents on how to clean a pelletizer, dryer, and tote correctly and re-train - but again - I dont think that is going to help.

What are your thoughts? :tg:

Thanks!

G

guruprasadb

hi,

i am having a doubt , as cleaning process involves

Cleaning agent, other parameters like Temp , time,

I think parameters to be considered are the cleaning agent replacement , refilling , any water mix ratio, Ph value etc

If all above parts are done on same machine / same process then can we consider as cleaning is not proper as one major problem

as you might be having back up data can we link to any particular period, time, day, shift, or any event like breakdown, regular operator absentism, a day before changing of cleaning agent, power cut, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello Covers -

I am planning on have a meeting with Quality & Production to go over rejections from 2010 - 2012. All the rejections are grouped by issue / responsible department, etc. <snip>

My plan was to review and discuss the contamination issues with the highest numbers (number of times it has happened) first. But even the highest numbers didnt happen THAT often.

I think what this all boils down to is that Production is not taking the time to properly clean equipment and it results in contamination.

How can I fix that?

I could try to put together training documents on how to clean a pelletizer, dryer, and tote correctly and re-train - but again - I dont think that is going to help.

Thanks!

What needs to be done is finding out why cleaning of equipment isn't important to the people who need to do the cleaning. Until you know that and someone does something about it, you're just spitting into the wind.

C

Chadbourne31

I would put together a team involving people from production to try to solve the problem. Perhaps using your corrective action procedure and activities, such as 5 why, disciplined problem solving. It would be much better if they come to the conclusion as to what the root cause may be.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
To me it looks like 'cleaning' is the bigger issue overall.

As Jim pointed out, find out why cleaning is not being done or not being done properly. I can think of many 'reasons' off the top of my head, but none of my reasons are probably the correct ones.

In this case I would talk to the operators and dig for the actual reason. Keep up the "why's" until you get an reasonable answer then ask 'why' again.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Covers -

I am planning on have a meeting with Quality & Production to go over rejections from 2010 - 2012. All the rejections are grouped by issue / responsible department, etc.

When it comes to contamination - caused by Production - Here is what we have:

Contamination

Pelletizer Not Cleaned Properly
Dryer Not Cleaned Properly
Totes Not Cleaned Properly
Gala Not Cleaned Properly
Cross Contamination (Pellet)
Resin Burned In The Line
Poor Purging Job to Job
Handler Not Cleaned Properly
Did Not Follow Process Sheet

How can I fix that?

Thanks!

So there are five different occurrences (areas) where cleaning isn't done properly. Because the activity obviously has an effect on the finished product (product realization), it can be defined as a critical activity.

First off, has anyone defined what "cleaned properly" specifically means? If there is an expectation that certain tasks need to be done in a certain way and in a certain order, I would expect this to be documented somewhere. If this is in place, a vetting of the process should be done; if the instructions are followed as defined, will they result in a sufficiently clean area/process tool?

If the answer is yes, then it's down to the talks with the operators. Observe them doing the cleaning, and determine if they know the process and if they are doing it correctly.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
All in all, I tend to think more diplomatically and politically when it comes to glitches anywhere in an organization.

Being a Demingite and continually having the Red Bead exercise at the forefront of my thinking,

1. I'd look to the WRITTEN process first for clues to why the process has glitches.
  2. Next, I'd inquire whether the process, when done correctly, ALWAYS results in perfectly clean machines and materials (are there any environmental factors which may cloud the issue?)
  3. Next, I'd inquire of the folks on the ground why THEY think some (any) glitches occur.
  4. If workers on the ground have thoughts, are they individual worker issues or systemic ones arising from the process plan?
  5. Obtain consensus agreement the cleanliness issue is an important one.
  6. Invite solutions from the folks who have to implement them.
  7. Try some of the solutions (a kind of DOE) - do they ameliorate the issues?
  8. Change the procedure/process to the more effective one. If lucky, most, if not all, of the changes will be low cost mistake proofing, easy to implement with a workforce eager to embrace a more effective and efficient way to work.
One of the quickest ways to alienate a workforce is to go charging around, pointing fingers of blame. Deming has ALWAYS been correct - the majority of process problems can be laid to management responsibility and, in almost every case, ONLY management has the power and authority to design and implement a change.

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Contamination issues graphed over time

Attachments

• Production - Contamination - 2012.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 235
Top Bottom