PFMEA RPN - At what RPN level do you take actions in the FMEA?

S

Simpan

Hi :bigwave:

I hope you can help me with the following question:

At what RPN level do you take actions in the FMEA?

I have looked in the blue book (PPAP fourth edition) and I can't find any help there.

Looking forward for your answers.

//Simpan

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Re: PFMEA RPN

The current belief is that you should not define a maximum RPN

The introduction states page i
General Changes
The suggestion that RPN not be used as the primary means for assessing risk. The
need for improvement has been revised including an additional method, and the use
of thresholds on RPN is clarified as a practice that is not recommended.
See appendix C in the handbook

D

DRAMMAN

Re: PFMEA RPN

I am not a proponent of setting an RPN trigger level. Anytime I have seen that done the FMEA magically has every RPN below the level. I prefere to simply adopt a practice of working on the highest RPN risks.

T

TShepherd

Most of the OEM's (Automotive) and many of thier suppliers do not put a great deal of importance in the documents (DFMEA - Design) (SFMEA - System) and the PFMEA (Process) and even less importance on the RPN (Risk Priority Number)and treat these documents (methods) more with disdain as something that is required but of little value. However when thinds go wrong they become the documents that the law will review to determine due care and liability.

Case in point - GM and the current issue with the ignition switch.

While I have not heard the root cause in terms of a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw - you can bet the these documents are being reviewed as we speak.

Something as simple as this appears to be, should have been easily caught within one of the above concepts.

And thier apparent unwillingness to address the issue will play a major factor in the future - whoever signed off on those documents is in a heap of trouble and additionally whoever made the decision to not address the issue when it came to light may be held criminally responsible.

As far as the previous post suggesting that there should not be a trigger - to my knowledge there is no company advocating setting an RPN trigger anymore (there were a lot of rediculous triggers set in the past 1967 to current)

Most companies today trying to use the FMEA's thought process as it was intended - use a rolling target (3, 5, 10) whatever your organization has the resources to address.

Tom:2cents:

Top Bottom