We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer.

V

vardar3

We made a print for a rivet that that has that has the old “GM4435M Code A, Black” finish call out on it. We just realized this spec was replaced by the new specification “GMW3179”. We released the print to our suppliers oblivious to this new spec.

We are going to change the prints to include the new spec, but what does that do to the suppliers that plated, tested and submitted PPAP to the old specification???

Can I approve PPAP like this and submit to customer?

This is for initial PPAP so suppliers performed all required testing to this spec (salt spray, humidity, tape test)

Some more information:
· GMW 3179 released July 2007
· SUPERCEDED GM4435M released September 2010 ß I also wonder why a SUPERCEDE Spec would be released in 2010 when the spec that superseded it was released in 2007.
· Our Prints were released February 2012

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We made a print for a rivet that that has that has the old “GM4435M Code A, Black” finish call out on it. We just realized this spec was replaced by the new specification “GMW3179”. We released the print to our suppliers oblivious to this new spec.

We are going to change the prints to include the new spec, but what does that do to the suppliers that plated, tested and submitted PPAP to the old specification???

Can I approve PPAP like this and submit to customer?

This is for initial PPAP so suppliers performed all required testing to this spec (salt spray, humidity, tape test)

Some more information:
· GMW 3179 released July 2007
· SUPERCEDED GM4435M released September 2010 ß I also wonder why a SUPERCEDE Spec would be released in 2010 when the spec that superseded it was released in 2007.
· Our Prints were released February 2012

The question is, does the testing done by the supplier satisfy the requirements of the new version? If so, the supplier's test reports can reference the new spec. This doesn't account for the fact that the drawing references the wrong spec, of course, so what you might want to do is have the supplier explain the situation in the comments section of the PSW that the drawing references the old spec but testing is in conformance with the new one.

If the requirements are different in the new spec, on the other hand, you'll need to ask the customer for guidance.

ETA: If the new spec is substantively different from the old one (e.g., it calls for a different material or process) it doesn't matter if the parts pass the testing--you'll need to talk to your customer.

Top Bottom