Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation

T

tracey

Good afternoon Cove members, I am curious to hear where you have placed your process maps. I was initially going to make them part of the quality manual but decided that the less in there the better because everytime one is updated I will have to reissue the Qualtiy Manual. Then I thought I would place them seperately in with our controlled documents. Now I am thinking that am going to place them in our procedures maunal that way they are seperated for new revisions yet placed in a more appropriate place. It's late and it's Monday...I may be making an issue out of nothing but I thought if I had some different ideas on this issue, it may save me some time later.

Tracey :rolleyes:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Hey Tracey! It's never late around here...I've learned that some of the best advice comes when it's late, we're tired, and our brains are allowed to think outside of the box...that's why Happy Hour was invented!

But, getting to your question, we have a general process map shown in our Quality Manual. It's so basic and just shows the general flow of our main production processes.

We refer to all department based process maps within the Quality Manual, but maintain them outside of the Tier 1 document for the very reason you stated (makes the QMS bible too subject to change).

The software package that we use for document control, takes Process Maps into account and has developed a PCD acronym for our maps (Process Control Document), along with fields for Inputs, Outputs, Work Environment, Resources, etc.

Hope that helps!

J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Tracey. We us a similar method for our process map. We have a high level map in the quality manual that gives an overview of everything.

We then maintain an electronic copy that has built in links for the more detailed maps. For example, out high level map has a block for the build portion of the process. If you click on that in the electronic version it will bring up a detailed map of the build process. Some of the maps have several levels depending on what process is being covered.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
We kind of follow the same path or at least similar. There is a section of our QMS that we call data and reference sheets. They are not really work instructions, and not a "record" but more or less a quick reference or guide. All of our org charts, process maps, and "look ups" reside here. Our quality manual does have links to the the process interaction maps and org charts

Hi Tracey,

Just like RCBeyette we put only the process overview map in the Manual.

Most of our written procedures contain a process map these days. We do that for several reasons:

Parts of our staff find it easier to follow a process map than the written word.
A process map within the document allows us to put much less in writing.
If the document needs updating the map is updated at the same time.

If we find it hard to describe the process graphically, chances are that there is something wrong with either the process or it's description.

Now... This is our way of doing things... It suits us, and it may or may not suit you. Just make certain that you have thought it through before you start working on it....

/Claes

T

tracey

Well I could use happy hour right now :frust: I appreciate everyone's advice. Claes when you said you had a process map for each of your procedures I look at what I had and there is a process map for all created so far except for purchasing....I think I'll add one because I agree with you totally; they are easier for a lot of employees to follow and it make total sence that if we are having a hard time describing the process graphically, that something is wrong. It a great way to test it. Thanks.
:)

H

htanaka

What is it?

Please - what is a 'process map'? Same as flowchart? Different?

What is its purpose?

Thank you

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Claes,

Where is specifically do I put the Process Map. Can I place it under the Clause 4.1 Quality Management System, General Requirements? :confused: Sorry, If I speak too literal on where I could possibly put the Process Map. And besides, does the new standard requires a Process Map in the Quality Manual? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Raffy

htanaka said:
Please - what is a 'process map'? Same as flowchart? Different?

What is its purpose?

Thank you

Hi htanaka, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Yes, at least in my case it's a flowchart describing a process. Now we have to describe our processes (ISO9001:2000, clause 4.1). We do not have to do it graphically, but it's often most convenient to do so.

/Claes

Raffy said:
Hi Claes,

Where is specifically do I put the Process Map. Can I place it under the Clause 4.1 Quality Management System, General Requirements? :confused: Sorry, If I speak too literal on where I could possibly put the Process Map. And besides, does the new standard requires a Process Map in the Quality Manual? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Raffy

Hi Raffy,

I have not numbered our manual acc to the std clauses, but yes: 4.1 would be the place to put it if you do.

ISO 9001 :2000, clause 4.2.2c does not require a process map in the manual, but it does require a description of the interaction between the processes of the quality management system. A process map is often the best way to do that.

/Claes

Top Bottom