Employer Warning Notice a Controlled Document?

J

jmariscal90

so I am pretty new to ISO and I believe I know the answer but would like to get some more info on this.

would an employee warning notice need to be controlled, along with rev. number. approval date, etc? I don't think it does since it does not fall under the lines of req records:
Management Review Meetings – minutes (5.6.1)
Training records (6.2.2)
Product realization – evidence that requirements are fulfilled (7.1)
Sales activities where the customer requirements are reviewed, including enquiry & quotation, order receipt, order processing, order changes.(7.2.2)
Design and development – inputs, reviews, verification, validation, changes (7.3)
Supplier Evaluations (7.4.1)
re-validation of Special Processes (7.5.2) (processes where parameters are controlled e.g. temperature, rather than controlling the product)
Unique product ID records – (e.g. serial / batch number) if traceability is required (7.5.3)
Customer property – lost, damages or unsuitable for use (7.5.4)
Calibrations (7.6)
Internal Audits – findings and actions (8.2.2)
Product checks – throughout process and for final release, including ‘who’ (8.2.4)
Non-conformances (8.3)
Corrective actions (8.5.2)
Preventive actions (8.5.3)

nor documented procedures:
control of documents(4.2.3)
Control of records (4.2.4)
internal audit (8.2.2)
control of nonconforming product (8.3)
corrective action (8.5.2)
preventive action (8.5.3)

My understanding is the only documents that need to be controlled are those listed above. So my question is am I going in the right direction or did I completely miss it?

Attachments

• Employee Warning Notice.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 219

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Employer warning notice controlled doc?

You could make the case either way.

I tend to lean towards having a document number and revision control for all documents - if only because once you establish that there is some latitude for discretion, then it is often abused.

Document control is one of the easiest flaws for an auditor to detect, regardless of how good your system is. SOMEBODY is always using an obsolete revision they had on their hard drive or a printed copy in their desk.

In a disciplined environment you may choose differently, but I tend to be in Wild West scenarios where I'm still getting the players used to not shooting off their guns in the saloon.

Kronos147

Revisions are one of the ways we leave evidence of continual improvement.

At our company, Revisions are used to help Change Management. If we make a change and find it not effective, we can roll back to the prevision revision.

Food for thought.

One added; I used to discuss if a document should or shouldn't be controlled on a case by case basis, until I did a cost analysis of what those discussions cost the company. Everything gets controlled now.

Mark Meer

A few questions would help to decide:

1. What industry are you in? Higher-risk = higher degree of control is probably appropriate.

2. How important is the data to monitoring and improvement? Do you track data in a very specific form? If you just keep track of when, who and what, then a simple spreadsheet might be just fine.

3. Who uses the document? If only one or two people actually have authority to issue these warning notices, maybe it's unnecessary.

4. Have there been any problems/issues with this type of documentation in the past?

Unless your organization is a) in a high risk industry; b) the data form is important to monitoring; c) a lot of people use it; and/or d) there have been issues maintaining such records/data in the past, I'd say that such a document does not need to be heavily controlled.

J

jmariscal90

thank you all for the replies, this kind of raises another question to me... My company is a machine shop that focuses on the die casting of zinc and aluminum components. we are a small company and currently transitioning into the aerospace industry. So would it be better to control all documents that we have to further strengthen our QMS since we are going into a new field?

howste

Thaumaturge

thank you all for the replies, this kind of raises another question to me... My company is a machine shop that focuses on the die casting of zinc and aluminum components. we are a small company and currently transitioning into the aerospace industry. So would it be better to control all documents that we have to further strengthen our QMS since we are going into a new field?

To me it really is easier to just control all documents. If there are any exceptions, then everybody thinks they should have exceptions for their documents too. If there's a business reason to have a document or form, then there's a good chance it should be controlled anyway.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

To me it really is easier to just control all documents.
I fully agree with the previous posters. The one reason I've seen some organizations/individuals failing to control documents outwith of the quality system is the erroneous notion that, by controlling such documents, they become fair game during an audit, such, for example, an ISO 9001 audit.

In my view, an employer warning notice form (with the possible exception of an unusual/a rare context) would not be part of the QMS, thus should not be under the scope of an ISO 9001 audit.

This unfounded fear sometimes makes people not control/proceduralize aspects out of the QMS.

Good, knowledgeable, competent auditors understand the need to stick to the scope of the audit they are performing and not venture willy nilly beyond the envelope of the system they are expected to assess.

Top Bottom