Extending QMS Scope to External Company Site (Outsourcing)

john.b

Involved In Discussions
We're in the process of extending our QMS scope to cover outsourcing services at another company and another site. Since we are an IT service company that is where we provide very similar IT services as in existing sites at an external company, or to be clear, where we are the outsourcer.

My understanding is that there should be no problem with this, as long as a unified management system covers all the scope, including all the requirements. I have reviewed it with our CB's "guru" and he agreed, not citing any additional requirements beyond those in the standard. The staff in question are our own company staff but according to him even that isn't a requirement, scope could go beyond that, as it would if a security guard were outsourced (from a separate supplier, in the other direction) and if that function related to an integrated, covered process.

Lot of issues and potential problems spring to mind, of course: document control, consistent management chain, QMR, policy consistency, ability to acheive complete enough process consistency across the entire QMS functional scope, and we'll have some problems related to all of these. One reason we want to do it anyway (aside from marketing spin and saving the pittance on combined auditing, both of which management isn't thinking through anyway) is because we feel the services, management, processes, etc. are really consistent.

Could anyone here give me some feedback as to what they see as critical issues, or sticking points? Thanks.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
My understanding is that there should be no problem with this, as long as a unified management system covers all the scope, including all the requirements.
You mean the same Top management for both enterprises ?
I have reviewed it with our CB's "guru" and he agreed, not citing any additional requirements beyond those in the standard. The staff in question are our own company staff but according to him even that isn't a requirement, scope could go beyond that, as it would if a security guard were outsourced (from a separate supplier, in the other direction) and if that function related to an integrated, covered process.
This should be perfectly OK for you to have an other site added on to your QMS scope.
Could anyone here give me some feedback as to what they see as critical issues, or sticking points?
Identify the Lead site and its processes and process owners. (for authority / responsibility)
Identify the site 1 and its processes and process owners. (for authority / responsibility)
Identify the interactions, internal communications and controls that the lead site extends over the site 1.
Identify any common procedures that are performed / followed at both sites and who and where these process owner functions from.
Map them in a neat and concise way both in the manual as well as in your process and interactions mapping.
Done.

J

JaneB

John,
It sounds to me as though you've already thought this through well already.

You've covered it off with the CB, who of course is the arbiter of what is/isn't possible re. scope. and

You've identified the need for your system to be unified and for processes to be consistent (excellent)!

And you're thinking of issues to do with
document control, consistent management chain, QMR, policy consistency, ability to achieve complete enough process consistency across the entire QMS functional scope

You may/probably already have thought of this, but you'll need to ensure that common procedures you expect to apply to 'thems' will do so (eg, document control, policy etc) - there may be a need to adjust them or revise them to suit. But I don't see or hear any major sticking points.

Top Bottom