Ballooning a Print (Drawing) - A correct way to do a "bubble" print for a PPAP

S

Sue

Can anyone tell me if there is a correct way to do a "bubble" print for a PPAP - that is, the numbering sequence - clockwise, counter-clockwise?

Obviously I'm new to this end of quality. Now that we have become registered to ISO9001:2000, I've been assigned a new project - PPAP's. It is like going from the frying pan into the fire! I am going to need mucho help guys :D

Thanks,
Sue

A

Al Dyer

Sure Sue,

Start at top left and follow the dimensional call-outs in a clockwise manner. Some won't fit so just make sure that the balloons are in sync with the rest of the paperwork.

Al...

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I have never seen a "How to number a print for dummies" book (although it would not surprise me that some yahoo with too much time might have actually written one:rolleyes: ).

We section off the various views and, as Al described, start in the upper left of the view and work our way around - clockwise. Each section has the numbers employed in that section identified. We don't have this defined anywhere - it is more a preference of the guy we've had numbering prints for the last 20 years. It gets fun finding specific numbers as the print goes through various engineering levels and dimensions move from one section to another.

IMO - The only purpose for numbering prints is to have "reference points" for the Dimensional Results sheets submitted to our customers. If your company has a different way to number that works for you, use it.

Hope that helps.

Bill

G

george.wilson

Re: Numbering print - A correct way to do a "bubble" print for a PPAP

YEP, I start in the upper left and go clockwise within that view or area of the drawing. I start at the first page of the drawing and in the upper left corner, and work my way right. I remember this being passed on to me years ago by someone older and wiser, but not the exact detail.

I have not seen a procedure written on this subject, just seems to be "convention". Depending on the complexity of the product drawing, often I include the zone map in a measurement plan, so the met lab can find that darn balloon.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

YEP, I start in the upper left and go clockwise within that view or area of the drawing. I start at the first page of the drawing and in the upper left corner, and work my way right.
Yep - I'm with everyone else. This is how I've always done it too.

F

Frank T.

Yep - I'm with everyone else. This is how I've always done it too.

I agree with everyone else. That's the way someone older and wiser taught me. So I stuck with it.

It seems a lot of people were taught that way........:)

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

One "new" thing is a couple of our customers are now sending in prints that they have numbered. While that, in itself is great, our problem is when they move a dimension to a different area on the drawing, it gets assigned a different number and the other numbers after that originally assigned one also get renumbered. Wreaks havoc with our dimensional layout reporting :mad:

:topic: What happened to the "banging your head against a brick wall" smilie? I used to feel better just looking at that one:rolleyes:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Doh :mybad:

Now I see it.

D

Dean Frederickson

I have always started with the material call out first, then I did the notes, then I basically do what everyone else has stated here, start with the top view at the top left and go clockwise around that view, then to the right view at top left and clockwise around view, then to the front view start at top left and go clockwise around. You have to include the material call out and notes (for plating, painting, heat treat, deburring. etc. etc.....)

Top Bottom