Crossing from OHSAS 18001 to ILO OSH

H

hboussed

good morning,

so here is my problem, i'm a reliability engineer and now i'm in charge to lead an external audit for the count of a petroleum company.
they want to find the leaks in their IMS ( OSHSAS 18001 - ISO 9001 - ISO 14001) , the idea is to proceed separately ( by assessing each MS apart ) knowing that the chiefs have already shown a strong will to upgrade from OHSAS 18001-2008 to ILO OHS 2001 which is pretty much demanding.

my question is : how am i gonna proceed !! do you have any external audit check lists !! am i supposed to do some benchmarking before going down their pleaaaase i need your help !

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

I don't have any "canned" checklists that would help with an analysis like this one. I would use my turtle notes that I linked in the ISO 9001 Audit Checklist Excel .xls Template thread, go through the audits and look at the results. I would ask myself:

1) Is this same thing happening in other departments? That is, if there are people without updated training for example, is it happening all over the place or is it in just one department? Is the type of training involving more than one system?

2) What is the cause of the symptom I am seeing? Is the training need defined, or is it not being carried out, or is it just not getting recorded?

Definition + Implementation + Effectiveness = conformance to standards, in general. If there is systemic dysfunction, or "leaking" as you described it, the symptoms would be evident across the audits.

That does not mean I would do a Document Control or training audit separately for the systems unless the programs are independent for these groups.

It would be possible to score the audits and compare the systems side-by-side, but in my view a qualitative is/is not analysis would be adequate.

Does this help?

S

samsung

....upgrade from OHSAS 18001-2008 to ILO OHS 2001 which is pretty much demanding.

One thing that I couldn't follow is "upgrade from OHSAS 18001-2008 to ILO OHS 2001"? OHSAS 18001 is a standard whereas ILO OHS 2001 is a set of Guidelines for OHS management systems.

However, while establishing your OHS management system based on ILO guidelines, if you replace all the 'shoulds' with 'shalls', it's pretty as good as OHSAS (i.e. your existing MS) and you may probably want to question yourself what you are going to gain with this switch over?

H

hboussed

Does this help?

more then you can ever imagine you're a life saver thanks a lot ^^

One thing that I couldn't follow is "upgrade from OHSAS 18001-2008 to ILO OHS 2001"??

as i said brother i'm a reliability engineer and a newbie too, it's my first experience dealing with standards, i've followed an OHSAS 18001 course , ILO OHS's course is programmed for April 14th and audit sessions will begin on Mai 1st.

besides it's the firm's will to look up for more demanding standards. but though i've already thought about the question : what's the meaning of it !

Randy

Super Moderator
The ILO OSH Guideline isn't demanding at all, in fact it's a less demanding document than OHSAS 18001 because it really doesn't require anything be done, it only suggests options in the form of "should".

It's a step backward

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

Hboossed, resistance to change is strong in many minds working with the BS OHSAS 18001. As me, your compagny decides to use ILO-OSH model of OHSMS, it's an excellent choice ! ILO-OSH is consistent with other international models ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 (as confirmed by ISO 26000) and compatible to integrate together. Choosing a OSHMS is a sovereign prerogative thus internal of the top management of a company to fulfill its OSH duty, but certainly not an external injunction (and often financially interested).

So I advise you to not be intimidated by some statements on the alleged superiority of BS and on the false ILO-OSH dificulties.

I'm not sure to understand your need (I'm not very good toread or speak English...). But I will try to answer you later.

Cordialy.

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip> So I advise you to not be intimidated by some statements on the alleged superiority of BS and on the false ILO-OSH dificulties.

Our intent is to inform, share, help, encourage; not to intimidate. :nope:

Hope this clarifies.

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.

H

hboussed

Hello !

Hboossed, resistance to change is strong in many minds working with the BS OHSAS 18001. As me, your compagny decides to use ILO-OSH model of OHSMS, it's an excellent choice ! ILO-OSH is consistent with other international models ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 (as confirmed by ISO 26000) and compatible to integrate together. Choosing a OSHMS is a sovereign prerogative thus internal of the top management of a company to fulfill its OSH duty, but certainly not an external injunction (and often financially interested).

So I advise you to not be intimidated by some statements on the alleged superiority of BS and on the false ILO-OSH dificulties.

I'm not sure to understand your need (I'm not very good toread or speak English...). But I will try to answer you later.

Cordialy.

thanks for your answer but though i've got a few comments , i'm not so sure of what i'm gonna say , but we can't talk about RESISTANCE TO CHANGE knowing that the group who pleaded with us to do this external Audit is certified OHSAS 18001 since 2007 which means that they're already regular with HSMS obligations, introducing ILO OHS 2001 wont make such a difference IN CASE OF OHSAS 18001 is well operating.
and i intend to make a starting point of it i mean " testing the degree of OHSMS understanding and wither it is a full commitment or just a certification on paper ".

in other words " despite of introducing ILO OSH, my mission consists in delivering a relevant diagnosis of the HSE Management System before we undertake any action "

if you have any thoughts of the way i should proceed, well don't hesitate to share it with me cause i really need it .

to SAMSUNG :

" upgrade from OHSAS to ILO OSH 2001" this is exactly what figures on the contract !!!!

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello Hboussed !

When I was speaking about "resistance to change" I was speaking a part of cove colleagues, not of compagnies with ILO-OSH open minds.

Regarding your need "starting point / delivering a relevant diagnosis of the HSE Management System before we undertake any action" : for me it's exactly the purpose of the typical "initial review" of the OSH management currently practiced by a company, as required by ILO-OSH § 3.7 before to adopt ILO-OSH and adapt its own OSHMS regarding this international standard !

I made such "initial reviews" before to start formal operational and effective OSHMS projects. It's allways very interesting to develop an OSH project based on specific strengths and weaknesses of existing practices identified in the compagny (and not only regarding a standard which would be seen as a cooking recipe). Even if top management does not realize, a company always has an "native" OSH management. And if the compagny seems to have an "BS" OHSMS, probably a part of the path is already made to a good OHSMS based on ILO-OSH.

In your case, let's achieve an audit regarding ILO-OSH and its results will form the basis for improvement and effectiveness of enterprise on OSH, moving from BS to ILO-OSH.

Bye.

Last edited:
Top Bottom