A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota

cubix rube

Involved In Discussions
We are a tier two supplier and do not supply ANY of the auto makers directly, but everything we make eventually ends up on a Ford, or a Toyota, Honda, etc. We do have several tier 1 customers who have SQAM, or "Supplier Handbooks", etc., and I understand that those requirements have to be addressed within our QMS, but I do have a couple of questions around that.

First, can we simply reference those manuals/documents somewhere in our system (docs of external origin?), or do we have to actually extract those requirements, and insert them directly into our QMS documentation, such as our manual, procedures, etc.?

Secondly, do the Ford, Toyota, etc. requirements apply to us if we do not supply them directly? I don't see anything in any of our tier 1 customers' requirements that reference meeting their customers' requirements.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: A couple CSR questions...

The age old problem - CSR vs. the "standard."

First, the OEM requirements would not apply to you unless you customer somehow worked them in.

Second, you need to figure a way to track the differences between the
CSR and the standard. My guess is that most will be the same. Most differences will be details like if this, then fill out this form. For example, my customer requires us the fill out a PPAP coversheet, in addition to the AIAG forms. So what we do, is rather than bog down our system documentation, we have a matrix. Where there is a difference or additional requirement, we refer to the supplier manual/CSR. This way, when they change their requirements all we need to do is update the matrix.

Good luck.

jackerman64

Corp Quality Sys *****

Would you be willing to share that matrix?
Also, in what way do you audit and track CSR Audits?
We build CSRs into the QMS at launch to ensure life long compliance and they are automatically part of the Internal Audit... this however, was not acceptable by our Registrar. He insisted this did not provide appropriate evidence that EVERY CSR is audited.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Ford does have sub-suppler specific requirement from 2014: "Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-tier suppliers - AUG 14".
Covering:
1. CONTROL PLANS
2. PROCESS APPROACH
3. PERFORMANCE
4. INTERNAL AUDITING
5. CONTROL OF NON-CONFORMING PRODUCT
6. PART APPROVAL
7. MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY

Ford also has a Sub-Tier Supplier APQP Tracking Document.

Tier 1s are responsible for cascading these to the sub-tiers.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

We build CSRs into the QMS at launch to ensure life long compliance and they are automatically part of the Internal Audit... this however, was not acceptable by our Registrar. He insisted this did not provide appropriate evidence that EVERY CSR is audited.

Can't share, but I can describe it. It's an excel worksheet. Down Column A is the number and description of the ISO/TS clause. Columns B, C, D, etc. titled for each applicable customer. As we review their CSR we note which section of the standard it affects. We also highlight any differences, forms required, etc. And reference the applicable procedure where it would be addressed.

So for example, change control is a good one because each organization probably has different methods to handle it. So we have one customer which has specific forms and electronic databases to us. But another just asks that we contact our applicable representative. We can cross reference the requirements and keep everything straight.

During audit, we make sure to reference the matrix and include any CSR is the applicable audit.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator

Attached herewith a sample CSR matrix for your reference.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachments

• CSR Matrix for ref.xlsx
    14.1 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:
Top Bottom