IS a Master's degree a must in today's job market?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've been workingin in the field of quality for 10 years now and I have been presented with an opportunity to pursue a Master's degree in Strategic Leadership. I'm walking the fench post on this one my job doesn't require it and I have already been told that it would not gain a pay increase. So my quesiton is do I or don't I?

Any Advice? :confused:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Allen M. said:
I've been workingin in the field of quality for 10 years now and I have been presented with an opportunity to pursue a Master's degree in Strategic Leadership. I'm walking the fench post on this one my job doesn't require it and I have already been told that it would not gain a pay increase. So my quesiton is do I or don't I?

I don't think its a requirement in most instances, (I've gotten along pretty well for a long time with no college degree at all). It might even stand between you and some jobs. I guess it depends on what your career aspirations are. The old question is, where do you want to be in five years?

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

I found that my master's degree opened a few doors when it was time to move on from my employer at the time I was doing the degree (and I didn't get any pay increase from my employer at the time). Mine is in engineering management with an emphasis on quality management. People thought this degree was better than the CQM from ASQ.

I think the question from the previous post is a good one. Where do you want to be 5 years from now? Have you talked with graduates of this same program? What are they doing today? Is that what you would want to do?

--QG

al40

qualitygoddess said:
I found that my master's degree opened a few doors when it was time to move on from my employer at the time I was doing the degree (and I didn't get any pay increase from my employer at the time). Mine is in engineering management with an emphasis on quality management. People thought this degree was better than the CQM from ASQ.

I think the question from the previous post is a good one. Where do you want to be 5 years from now? Have you talked with graduates of this same program? What are they doing today? Is that what you would want to do?

--QG
Goddess,
That's a good question, I've met my initial goals of acheving ASQ cetification in CQA and CQM and have achived those. I'm not sure about the master's degree ( Ihave a degree in Electrical Engineering and Organizational Leadership), I've talked to my collegues and some say it can hinder you more than it can help. So I'm not sure, the degree is aimed at Executives and Managers, but my company has stated that they prefer the ASQ certification.

I've just recently been promoted to QM and I think I have a lot more to learn on being a good "Quality Manager" than pursuing a MS.

:read:

A

AllanJ

Allen M. said:

Any Advice? :confused:

If all you expect from a master's degree is more pay and that would be your raison d'etre for getting one you have answered your own question. You must look at your own aspirations and values. But, if you have been "presented with an opportunity" presumably whosoever is "presenting" the offer sees something in you that your question suggests you do not see in yourself. Is that not a rather flattering offer?

al40

AllanJ said:
If all you expect from a master's degree is more pay and that would be your raison d'etre for getting one you have answered your own question. You must look at your own aspirations and values. But, if you have been "presented with an opportunity" presumably whosoever is "presenting" the offer sees something in you that your question suggests you do not see in yourself. Is that not a rather flattering offer?

Allan :,
I do not look at this as a reason to earn more money but will the time I commit to the program be worth it in the end vs. the time I take away from my family and focusing on my work as a QM. I'm flattered that it was offered but I feel this is too soon since I'm involved in other pressing matters. :frust:

C

Craig H.

FWIW, I got my Masters in QA, mostly online,at SPSU. It was work, some quarters a LOT of work, with many late nights, but I am single. Was it worth it? From a financial standpoint, most likely not, at least not yet. But it was worth it because now I feel REAL confident when talking about many quality issues, and I met some really neat people in the process.

As far as comparing the degree to the CQMgr, well I didn't study for the exam AT ALL, finished with 1 to 1 1/2 hours to spare, and passed the first try. It was EASY!!!

al40

Craig H. said:
FWIW, I got my Masters in QA, mostly online,at SPSU. It was work, some quarters a LOT of work, with many late nights, but I am single. Was it worth it? From a financial standpoint, most likely not, at least not yet. But it was worth it because now I feel REAL confident when talking about many quality issues, and I met some really neat people in the process.

As far as comparing the degree to the CQMgr, well I didn't study for the exam AT ALL, finished with 1 to 1 1/2 hours to spare, and passed the first try. It was EASY!!!

Congrats Craig, I wish I was in the same boat but, I'm not I'm mister mom at night since my wife works an evening shift.

As far as comparing the CQMgr with a MS I don't think I did that. I said it was one of my goals.

:topic:

I'm not sure how you feel about ASQ certs, but I have learned a lot by studying for the CQM and anytime you learn it's a good thing. :read:

C

Craig H.

Allen M. said:
I'm not sure how you feel about ASQ certs, but I have learned a lot by studying for the CQM and anytime you learn it's a good thing. :read:

Allen,
Amen. This expresses the way I think about it, too. Master's degrees, certifications, whatever, really don't matter too much once the foot is in the door. Having the knowledge and applying it are what counts.

Fact is that we ALWAYS have to learn, especially these days.

I am sure many, if not all, of us have been underwhelmed at the performance of someone who has credentials.

Conversely, there are those who have an amazing breadth and depth of knowledge gained on their own.

I am sure that working toward the CQM was rewarding for you. My statement that it was easy for me maybe should have been better explained. I had graduated in August, and sat for the test the following September or October. Did I study for the test? Well, no, but I had been studying QA in general, intensively, for more than 2 years before that. The BoK and the curriculum matched pretty nicely. Could I pull it off right now? Doubtful. I did bust my tail several years before that to take, and pass, the CQE on my second try.

It was somewhere else in the thread where the comparison was made between a Master's degree and a CQM. If I had to pick between the two, the Masters would win, but it does take time and committment. People with kids, older parents to take care of, or, frankly, any other interests outside of work and school will find the going tough. That is not to mention the financial considerations. I am lucky to work at a company where my tuition and books were expensed. They are in the minority as far as educational expenses go, it seems. It is not cheap.

gpainter

I vote No. If you have one I think that in most manufacturing environments that you will not get paid more. Experience,Experience, Experience, Experience Experience.

Top Bottom