SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc

D

DRAMMAN

I am not sure if this is being poste din the correct forum. Do companies need to create Safety Data Sheets for complex products such as a TV, computer, car, etc? My understandng is SDS's are only required chemicals and other similiar products.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: SDS (MSDS) for hard goods

I'm pretty sure that SDS's are primarily used for cataloging specific information on individual chemicals and manufacturer-specific chemicals (including mixtures and compounds thereof). I've never heard of an SDS for a TV, computer or a car, as they are not chemicals themselves. Cars, however, do utilize individual chemicals (gasoline, antifreeze, oil, brake fluid, etc.) for which there would need to be safety data sheets available so that automobile manufacturers could make informed decisions regarding the safety of the final product. Manufacturers of those chemicals used would therefore need to create their own SDS's as a means of communicating the required information to other interested parties (such as automobile manufacturers).

Brian :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I

IRAHAZ

Re: SDS (MSDS) for hard goods

Yup, SDS only applies to those materials that can and will post some level of hazards to human when come in contact or when being exposed to it.

Kimmy

Involved In Discussions
They do not require MSDS's/SDS's because OSHA has created an article exemption for items such as this.

Definitions. Article means a manufactured item other than a fluid or particle: (i) which is formed to a specific shape or design during manufacture; (ii) which has end use function(s) dependent in whole or in part upon its shape or design during end use; and (iii) which under normal conditions of use does not release more than very small quantities, e.g., minute or trace amounts of a hazardous chemical (as determined under paragraph (d) of this section), and does not pose a physical hazard or health risk to employees.

Top Bottom