ISO implementation - Where or better yet what else should I be doing now

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
We've just finished writing our QM and associated quality procedures for our ISO implementation ( This forum has been a blessing). I have completed the ISO introduction training and I have auditor training, Overview of our new QP's schedule as well. I have the audit schedule developed and posted that will start after the auditor training.

Question: Where or better yet what else should I be doing now (I'm QE and acting QM)?

I think I have posted before that we are a brand new company and have accepted our first contract under the new QMS (Since we only have one customer will this be a problem for an ISO auditor as far as objective evidence? :topic: ). :thanx:

M

michelle8075

Hi Allen,

I am kinda in the same boat that you are in. My company has been around and has QS-9000 TE transitioning to 9K2K. But, I have been involved in many Quality systems, but this is the first that I am fullying implementing by myself.

From what I understand, the next step would be to get to work auditing and utilizing the new system. You will need documented evidence that this system is in place and is fully operational. You should have Management Review records, Internal Audit Records, Customer Feedback, Inspection Records, etc. on hand for the Registration Audit.

In the meantime, many companies out there do a GAP analysis of their quality system. If you are not familiar with this, it is when a consultant (usually) does a "pre" registration audit of sorts. It will be like a dry run. The advantange, you will know what you are lacking before the registration audit. It does not count against you in any way, as it is a learning tool for your organization.

It seems like everything is in place, trainig on the system is complete and you are on the right path to me.

Hope it helps.....

M

michelle8075

Allen M. said:
I think I have posted before that we are a brand new company and have accepted our first contract under the new QMS (Since we only have one customer will this be a problem for an ISO auditor as far as objective evidence? :topic: ). :thanx:

Hummmm. I am sure that many veteran covers can probably answer this quesiton better than I.

I think that it should be ok, However I am being pulled in the direction that one job may not give a full representation of how your company is following ISO yet. (But then again, if you are perfectly following your QM & procedures, than it can be looked like you are being careful just to pass the first audit, OR, if you don't follow it to a "T" you can show that you don't have much management support).

I am interested in seeing what others will post here. Is a good question for me to have a direct answer too also.

J

Jeff Frost

Allen

It may seem silly but I will mention it any way. Start training if you have not done so. Most implemented QMS do not actually reflect the processes they try to document unless the organization has involved the process owner. Your organization should plan on a high number of operational procedure and work instruction changes as the process owners receive their training. Biggest comment you may hear will be “that not how it’s done”.

Once every one has been trained and operational procedures changed as need you must start auditing your system based on the international standards requirements and your organizations procedures. Again plan on a high number of audit nonconformity findings at first as the organization grows into the new management system for quality.

When you are ready for the big step called registration you will need to have three or more months of audits completed and at least one management meeting completed before their audit.

Hope this helps

Jeff

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Jeff Frost said:
Allen

It may seem silly but I will mention it any way. Start training if you have not done so. Most implemented QMS do not actually reflect the processes they try to document unless the organization has involved the process owner. Your organization should plan on a high number of operational procedure and work instruction changes as the process owners receive their training. Biggest comment you may hear will be “that not how it’s done”.

Once every one has been trained and operational procedures changed as need you must start auditing your system based on the international standards requirements and your organizations procedures. Again plan on a high number of audit nonconformity findings at first as the organization grows into the new management system for quality.

When you are ready for the big step called registration you will need to have three or more months of audits completed and at least one management meeting completed before their audit.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Thanks for the advice, I have started trining we have logged about 20 hours so far, all employees and the president and vice pres have been involved from the beginning. :thanks:

Top Bottom